paper: Guide to the FRC MCC - Spectrum 3847

frc3847
mcc

Thread created automatically to discuss a document in CD-Media.

Guide to the FRC MCC - Spectrum 3847
by: AllenGregoryIV

Examples, build tips, and purchase suggestions for teams trying to build a Minimum Competitive Concept.

Examples, build tips, and purchase suggestions for teams trying to build a Minimum Competitive Concept.

Google Doc version will include updates.
Located here: MCC.Spectrum3847.org

What is an MCC?
An MCC (Minimum Competitive Concept) is a robot designed for FRC games that uses the fewest resources possible (money, time, equipment, knowledge, etc) to play the game at a level where the robot is valuable on any playoff alliance. When tuned, the MCC is often an alliance a captain due to its robust and consistent nature. These robots often have a lower potential score ceiling than some of the super star robots but are key contributors to their alliances.

Guide to the FRC MCC - Spectrum 3847.pdf (2.08 MB)

Great documentation, great resource!

Thanks for sharing!!

Thanks to you and your team for writing such a clear and concise design guide and sharing it with the community.

Maybe I’m biased by being physically close to y’all, but it does not seem like there’s a team that puts out more quality content than spectrum when it comes to helping raise the floor of FRC.

Great collection of information here Allen. Lots of good things for teams of all levels to take away and keep in mind throughout the season/year

Hello from across the country! You’re not biased. Allen and Spectrum are among the most helpful FRC teams out there!

Awesome resources Allen! I’ll be sure to point a lot of teams towards them.

I’m glad people are enjoying it.

If people have other suggestions for more to add please post here.

Currently we know we are missing

• Something about cheap and easy sensors (VEX bump switch, etc)
  • Some notes about avoiding crushing tubing by drilling clearance holes
  • Using bearings on the opposite side of VEX wheels when using a hub.
  • Using rivets/washers to retain bearings
  • Use of pins/bolts for simple torque transfer
  • Design of an arm/pivot using large (7/8") tube and bushings
  • More examples of how to mount things using brackets and gussets (versaframe, rev, AndyMark examples)

Use 1:1 Scale paper print outs when you don’t have CNC tools
You can still take advantage of CAD programs (Onshape, Solidworks, Fusion 360, etc) even if you don’t have
CNC machines. FRC#558 details this method in a youtube video. This is useful for getting chain or belt
spacing correct or finding the right place to put a pivot for your pneumatic cylinder.

This is a great tip. It allows you to make a lot of parts you wouldn’t think would be possible with only a drill and band saw. While it’s not perfect for everything it can normally be good enough. 5254 has used this method extensively for both prototypes and parts on the final robot.

Just from experience with prototypes and other work, a 1:1 drawing and careful drilling, you can get pretty close.

I would like to suggest adding a short paragraph in the “Shafts” section on how to use them as dead axles to transfer very large torques i.e. pivots for long and heavy arms.

A link to a basic guide to workholding would probably help many teams improve the quality of their construction significantly. Unfortunately, all of the ones I could find are oriented towards large machine tools such as milling machines, but the basic concepts are the same and many of the techniques can be emulated using C-clamps.