paper: Michigan Teams District Events

Thread created automatically to discuss a document in CD-Media.

Michigan Teams District Events
by: GaryVoshol

A spreadsheet listing Michigan teams and which District events they are registered for. Per FIRST website as of 10/9/2008.

Note: Some teams have only one event. I suspect they may be on a waiting list for their other event. For example, there are several teams from the Flint area that are signed up for one away event and not Kettering - they may be on a waiting list for Kettering. Wait lists are not shown on the FIRST website.

MI dist.xls (122 KB)

Here is a spreadsheet showing which District events Michigan teams are registered for, as of 9 Oct 2008. I will update periodically.

Some teams are registered for only 1 district; I suspect they may be on a waiting list for their second event.

Also, there is the option for teams to opt for not attending a second district event. However, as of right now, nobody has chosen this option…Between all of the district events, there are a little less than 30 on a wait list (not evenly distributed, some have more waiting than others…)

Wow, based on my modifications of Gary’s file (thanks for the great base!) we’re down to only 102 teams this year. Last year we were above 110! That means not only did we not grow, we shrank! Wonder if this is the economy, the new structure, or a combination of the 2…

Is FIRST in general seeing this same trend? Does anyone have the figures?

OK, sure Beth, make me do more work. Here’s who’s missing from 2008:

Location	Team Number	Team Name
Melvindale, MI, USA	FRC: 5	Ford FIRST Robotics & Melvindale High School
Dearborn, MI, USA	FRC: 184	Ford Motor Company / Fordson High School Alumni Association & Fordson High School & Dearborn Public Schools Education Foundation
Ottawa Lake, MI, USA	FRC: 279	Dana Corporation & Rogers High School & Toledo Technology Academy High School
Bloomfield Hills, MI, USA	FRC: 448	Cranbrook Kingswood School
Ann Arbor, MI, USA	FRC: 1015	Yazaki North America & Pioneer High School
Monroe, MI, USA	FRC: 1528	FANUC Robotics America / Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance (GEMA) / Ron George Design & Consulting / ITT Technical Institute / NSK Corporation & St. Mary Catholic Central High School & Monroe High School
Ann Arbor, MI, USA	FRC: 1549	Washtenaw Community College & Washtenaw Technical Middle College
Kalamazoo, MI, USA	FRC: 1677	General Motors / Western Michigan University / Techcare, President & Owner & Kalamazoo Public Schools
West Branch, MI, USA	FRC: 1783	NE Mich Industrial Assoc. / Sandvik, Inc. / West Branch Regional Medical Center / McDonalds of West Branch / Kiwanis Club of West Branch / Optimist Club of West Branch / Lay Industries / Hart Pontiac GMC Buick / North Central Michigan Community Foundation
Traverse City, MI, USA	FRC: 1896	Traverse Bay Area Intermediate School District & Manufacturing Technology Academy of Northwest Michigan High School
Benton Harbor, MI, USA	FRC: 1940	Benton Harbor High School
Grand Rapids, MI, USA	FRC: 2075	GE Volunteers / NASA / BP & R Engineering / Richard W. Panek DDS & West Catholic High School
Chassell, MI, USA	FRC: 2153	NASA & Chassell Township High School
Belding, MI, USA	FRC: 2188	Stahlin Enclosures / Graphite Engineering / City of Belding / Rayborn Ace Hardware / Caribbean Pools & Fiberglass / Chemical Bank / FIRST BANK / Belco Industries / Weisen Inc. / Extruded Aluminum / Ostrander Roofing & Siding / Ionia County Community Found
frankfort, MI, USA	FRC: 2245	FHS Engineers & Frankfort High School
Johannesburg, MI, USA	FRC: 2246	Johannesburg High School
Fruitport, MI, USA	FRC: 2405	Alcoa Foundation/Herman Miller, Inc & Fruitport High School
Detroit, MI, USA	FRC: 2431	Ford Motor & Detroit Northwestern HS and STEM
Farmington Hills, MI, USA	FRC: 2608	MiGHT Home School
Lansing, MI, USA	FRC: 2617	General Motors & J.W. Sexton High School Science, Math, and Engineering Magnet
Southgate, MI, USA	FRC: 2620	Southgate Anderson High School
Ann Arbor, MI, USA	FRC: 2627	Grace Center for Arts and Technology
Muskegon, MI, USA	FRC: 2645	T.Q. Machining / Spec Abrasives & Reeths-Puffer High School
Detroit, MI, USA	FRC: 2673	Ford Motor Company-Team Ford First & Cass Technical High School
Ecorse, MI, USA	FRC: 2676	Ecorse Community High School

Looking at the number of 2000+ team numbers in that list, I’m guessing a lot are still working on securing funding for 2009 before registering, rather than signing up now, then having to back out later.

Also, in answer to Beth’s Question:
2008 Final Registration NUmbers: 1564 teams
2009 Registration to Date: 1022 (with a little less than 2 months remaining to register)

Now, the number that I don’t have a way of getting easily, is how many were registered as of this point last year…

Updated 10/22/2008. Michigan is up to 111 teams. 1282 teams total worldwide.

One, 2075 from Grand Rapids West Catholic, has disappeared.

Updated 11/6/2008; 124 teams. Added a column for out of state regionals and the Championship. 2075 West Catholic has reappeared.

FIRST had the links to the events.
Mike Martus gave me the link.
http://www.usfirst.org/community/frc/content.aspx?id=9508

Thanks, Ed. I knew that link was there. My spreadsheet shows all the events where a team will be competing.

Ah!
Ok.

We do have a couple of teams who won’t be returning because of leadership issues. If a team isn’t returning because of money, then we can’t have that. We have some money to enter them. They would just need the money to build and such. I am in talks on getting at least 1 possibly 2 teams going in District 8. They are going to make me go down to the wire, but I am up for the challenge!!:smiley:

279 is not technically a Michigan team, they are from the Toledo, Ohio area, but have always been listed as an MI team because their sponsor is in Michigan. They are currently registered in Ohio so they can be taken off of the list of teams not returning

How are Michigan teams already signed up for the State championship

I would imagine Championship means Atlanta, which had open registration

Correct. Plus there are auto-qualifiers for Atlanta from Michigan.

Updated as of 12/8/2008.

Welcome back Team 1188 from Royal Oak HS and 1213 from Birmingham Groves HS.

The teams signed up for Atlanta don’t currently appear on FIRST’s site, so I didn’t change anything in that column.

I noticed that none of the Teams in Michigan have more then one district. I am assuming that is because everyone is still on a waiting list.

Has any teams signed up for a 3rd district event and got accepted/approved?

-Oris-

Add the following formula to column M to get the count of Districts:

=COUNTIF(D6:J6,"X")

*Where “6” is the row number

I haven’t seen any teams with more than 2 districts, but I didn’t go back through all the team links to see if there were any.