motor
electrical
gear
design
mechanical
calculator
performance
ratio

Thread created automatically to discuss a document in CD-Media.

Motor Performance Analysis
by: akeisic

The workbook illustrates motor performance on a single graph and allows you to see where your motor is operating at. It is key to finding your optimum gear ratio to meet you system requirements.

The Excel workbook is key to finding your optimum gear ratio to meet you system requirements. Version 4.0 is a major overhaul to the entire workbook and introduces the ability to combine dis-similar motors and save your design iterations!

v1.4 Upgrades:

• integrated gear ratio calculator
  • automatic flags for conditions that fail design requirements

v3.0 Upgrades: A significant upgrade from previous versions!

• the spec sheet adjusts for operating voltage to help better select motors
  • it’s formatted to fit on a single piece of paper
  • sped up calculation time
  • added design optimization, actual gear ratio and data management tools
  • motor specs at design condition

v4.0 Upgrades: MAJOR OVERHAUL TO ALL FUNCTIONALITY!!

• Added the ability to combine multiple dis-similar motors
  • Added easy drop downs to combine motors via free speed, max power or max efficiency.
  • Added the ability to maximize the device’s speed or torque (design philosophy)
  • Added the ability to save design iterations
  • Added the ability to see the de-normalized motor graphs (useful for motor comparisons)
  • Added the ability to match the real life gear ratio by adjusting the design philosophy
  • Updated all motor specifications and provided hyperlinks to data source
  • Added the optimal gear ratio per gear interface
  • Added the ability to compare the resultant values vs the required values
  • Overhauled the user interface to be more intuitive

The presentation introduces the concepts needed to effectively select motors and design gear ratios and compliments the Excel sheet. It introduces the governing properties of motors needed to perform gear ratio analysis.

Enjoy!
Andrew

Motor_Performance_v1.0.ppt (766 KB)
AJK_Motor_Performance_v1.4.xls (239 KB)
AJK Motor Performance v3.0.xlsm (93.7 KB)
AJK Motor Performance v4.00.xlsm (397 KB)

All,

I’m happy to finally upload version 4.0 of my motor performance spreadsheet! It’s been in development for a while now and I’m happy to release it in time for the 2015 season. Here’s the summary of the upgrades.

v4.0 Upgrades: MAJOR OVERHAUL TO ALL FUNCTIONALITY!!

• Added the ability to combine multiple dis-similar motors
  • Added easy drop downs to combine motors via free speed, max power or max efficiency.
  • Added the ability to maximize the device’s speed or torque (design philosophy)
  • Added the ability to save design iterations
  • Added the ability to see the de-normalized motor graphs (useful for motor comparisons)
  • Added the ability to match the real life gear ratio by adjusting the design philosophy
  • Updated all motor specifications and provided hyperlinks to data source
  • Added the optimal gear ratio per gear interface
  • Added the ability to compare the resultant values vs the required values
  • Overhauled the user interface to be more intuitive

Good luck!
Andrew

This is pretty awesome. Definitely one of the most polished Excel spreadsheets I’ve ever seen, that’s for sure. I’m curious, with the default settings in there, is that combining 4 CIMs with 2 MiniCIMs and 2 Banebots? I’m a little confused at why you would do that. Does that simulate a possible full drivetrain motor set as a single motor?

I appreciate the compliment. I actually spent a good amount of time with our user interface folks at work to determine the best layout and presentation of the workbook.

As for the default settings, I combined those motors primarily to illustrate the capability of the workbook. I don’t foresee any practical example of needing to combine so much motor power, but it’s nice to think that you could have a 2k Watt motor if you really wanted. I also loaded a couple of other examples into the workbook to illustrate various features and applications of the workbook. You’ll find those, by hitting the open icon. I know the most common use will be to input a single motor type and determine the gear ratio.

In all cases (including when only a single motor is selected), the workbook functions by determining the equivalent motor specifications of the combined motor and then performs all the gear ratio calculations. When I save the design iterations, I simply save only the user inputted values as everything else is calculated.