paper: Save energy - Go Black!

Thread created automatically to discuss a document in CD-Media.

Save energy - Go Black!
by: Tottanka

A presentation on the ‘Go Black’ presentation of FRC2669.

GO BLACK TEAMS!

Save Energy - Go Black!.ppt (41 KB)

Hello Teams,
Please view the presentation. It only takes a few minues of your time and it can make a differene!

Thanks for the informative presentation. I have just a few comments/questions:

1. You might want to change this:

Global worming is increasing.

1. What sort of effect would “going black” have on a website displayed on an LCD/plasma screen?
  2. Is it better to go all grayscale, or is color still efficient?

Thanks,
Blair

1.Thanks, fixed.
2. It would have no effect at all a Plasmas and LCDs use the same amount on energy per pixel indepndent on its color. What you could do is turn them off when not in use!
3. It will still save energy, though the most saving one is an all black page. As it’s not practical just try making your page as dark as you can without hurting its artistic side, we wouldn’t want tha to happen.
Thanks!

some one made a black google called blackle.com ive started using it…

It’s a good goal, but I highly doubt many, if any, big websites will go black. The fact is web design is about quickly delivering information and content as effectively as possible to people; white on black is harder to read than black on white. Macs have a feature to invert screen colours, which would work well for this because people could turn it off if they needed to (and could save power when word processing). You might have better luck trying to convince the development communities/companies of major browsers (like Firefox, Safari, Opera, and Konquerer [Microsoft is hopeless to try]) to add a hotkeyed “invert tab” feature.

Interesting idea…
I prefer darker web pages… they easier on old eyes. :cool:

On a side note; If all webpages went dark, and all the other fixes the environmentalist are wishing for really did happen.

What would they blame continued global warming on?

While I appreciate the efforts to curb global warming, I don’t think the impact this would have is worth the offset needed to convert everything over to “black”, mostly because CRT monitors are technologically a dying breed anyway. I doubt there will be any appreciable numbers of them still left in another decade.

Rather, it would probably be much easier just to convince people who have CRT monitors to download the Opera browser and check off the “View with High Contrast (W/B)” mode. This way, Opera overrides a lot of the CSS styling for the website without any additional work from the webmaster.

Here’s what CD looks like when viewed in Opera with High Contrast (W/B) mode. It yields the same “black” effect without any additional work required to redesign the website.

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/9381/screenshotbx2.png

first of all, that is a great idea and i will add it to the presntation.
Second, you are talking about a personal user approach while we belieave that for a real change you beed to get the big guns…

Thanks!

I too appreciate what you are doing, but I don’t believe this will make a huge impact, if any impact at all. At our build site, there are about 15 computers, one of which has a CRT monitor, all the rest are LCDs. Based on those numbers, less than 7% of computers use CRT monitors, like artdutra said, they are a dying breed. Again I praise you for your effort, but I think this is a fruitless endeavor.

I have to mention that in Israel the CRTs are about 60% of all monitors. Most schools/universities/companies still use them.
I believe that in Europe the situatuion is just about the same, and even if it is 7%, there still are many CRTs in the states wasting energy.
Big changes start with a small one, lets make it happen.

LCD screens actually use a very slightly greater amount of energy when displaying black instead of white.

Where would you get the biggest return?
Putting energy into telling people shut off your monitors and computer, or telling people to make black websites? I will make this easy: The former.
Also, there is such a small difference between black and white that the side effects of the color is more influencing - people very well could use more electricity during the day when they are surrounded by a black screen (they might want to turn on a light if the colors don’t look good, for example).

We don’t even know if CO2 is the chief cause at all (CO2 emissions is where all the political money goes because it is the only thing we know how to fix, not because it is correct). It is incredibly difficult to factor in the effects of cloud cover, energy efficiency, energy conversion (greenhouse gases), solar activity, snow/ice cover, and sea levels into a single model. (One model suggested that a tree generates more heat in the process of photosynthesis then the carbon dioxide it removed from the air…)

Anyways, this isn’t the best place to focus your work if you are looking to make a difference.

well, yes co2 is a major cause, but not really(*not to be hypocritical). even though as humans we put co2 and what not into the ozone, so does the natural processes of Earth itself. volcanoes and the like r what really causes global warming. it’s going to happen no matter what we do. it’s a cycle that Earth is going through. a couple of years ago, people thought we were going to have an ice age because avg temps started to drop. now we’re thinking of global warming. all we can really do is wait and hope that we survive(*not to have a grim outlook on life or anything). as my teacher once put it, adding a drop of water to an overflowing tub isn’t going to make that big of a difference.
If u really want to make a difference, try to get people to recycle old electronics and to stop the production of nuclear weapons and technologies, then we’ll worry about saving a little energy with our computers.

the only reason to save energy is to save natural resources that we will use up before long and have no way to create energy. there a some oil perserves around the world that r hidden that in case of emergency, we could tap, but that destroys the surrounding enviroment. it’s better to save and deal without than to destroy the beauty that surrounds us.
also, the more energy we use, the more products we tend to consume and therefore the more trash we have. the more trash we have makes the world more susceptible to disease and even pollution in the water. the effects r on the surface, not in the air.