paper: Simple Match Scouting

Thread created automatically to discuss a document in CD-Media.

Simple Match Scouting
by: JRumple

This paper covers a simple approach to scouting at an FRC event. It can be done by any team and is recommended for rookie teams who are starting to learn about event scouting. This paper includes a scouting card that can be printed for team members and a way to use Google Sheets for shared data collection and calculation.

Match Scouting

In Episode 49 (I think), Brandi Bolinger recommended that rookie teams use a Match Scouting approach. It came up again this week in episode 53.

This is where a couple students watch every match (and rotate through the team which students these are). At the end of the match, they rank all six robots as they think they did. Rank 1 goes to the team that did the best in that match. Rank 6 goes to the team that did the worst for that match.

Based on that approach, I drew up a simple FRC Match Scouting card. It is attached to this paper.

This PDF can be printed on blank 4x6 index cards. Many printers have a separate tray for 4x6 photo paper. Replace that with the index cards and when you print this PDF, it should print using that tray.

For our team I set up a Google Sheet so everyone on the team could update it during the competition from their mobile phone, tablet, or laptop, if they brought one. The file has two worksheets (i.e., tabs). On the first worksheet there are two columns: Team Number and Rank. This is where the raw data from the scouting cards go.

On the second worksheet, I put rows for each team that is going to be at our competition. In the second column I used SUMIF to add up all of the ranks that team got on the first worksheet. In the third column I used COUNTIF to count the number of ranks entered into the first worksheet. Then the fourth column divides the total Rank with the Count to get an average Rank for the team.

(Bonus Note: In the fourth column I added the IF function to display 6 if the count was 0 and display the Rank divided by count otherwise. This way I avoided a bunch of division by 0 errors before the event started. The largest possible average rank is 6 and this helped me keep unranked teams at the bottom of the sort.)

You can use the Google Sheets Filter feature to set up this table for filtering or sorting. Throughout the competition, you can sort the fourth column in ascending order to get a Match Scouting Pick List.

If you have two or three team members doing the scouting for each match, this will help balance the subjective biases a scout might have. After 8 to 10 matches for each team, you’ll have enough data to get reasonable rankings to combine with the FRC calculated rank.

I hope this helps.

FRC Match Scouting Card.pdf (21.8 KB)