Passover and the Nationals

Posted by Julia Walsh at 12/28/2000 11:52 AM EST

Other on team #191, X-CATS, from Jos Wilson High School - rochester NY - X-CATS and Xerox.

Does any other team have a concern regarding the Saturday and Sunday of Nationals being on the first 2 nights of Passover?
Are there any Orlando jewish team members who would be willing to host a few of us on Sunday night??

Posted by colleen at 12/28/2000 12:56 PM EST

Engineer on team #190, Gompei, from Massachusetts Academy of Math and Science and WPI.

In Reply to: Passover and the Nationals
Posted by Julia Walsh on 12/28/2000 11:52 AM EST:

No Julia-- I don’t have that problem… but last year we had a student on 246 (he was Muslim I believe) who needed to kneel and pray in the direction of sun 3 times a day. Since there was no real quiet area at the competition that he could do such a thing he had to go back to the hotel and missed a few of our matches because of the long bus lines and travel time…

Not that it’s obviously priority in a competition like this… but maybe for next year it’s something FIRST could take into consideration… build an extra tent that could be used during the day or at night (I’m not sure exactly what you have to do at Passover) for teams or individuals with special needs like these to use. This is something FIRST could plan in the off season and find out from teams prior who would need this and it can be reserved for them

too late for this year prolly, but maybe for 2002…

Posted by Julia Walsh at 12/28/2000 1:47 PM EST

Other on team #191, X-CATS, from Jos Wilson High School - rochester NY - X-CATS and Xerox.

In Reply to: ,and other religious conflicts
Posted by colleen on 12/28/2000 12:56 PM EST:

I did contact FIRST as soon as I saw the dates - they have many conflicts to deal with at that time of year and felt they could not accomodate a change in date.
FYI - On the first 2 nights of Passover there is a special meal and service called a seder. It is generally celebrated at home - but some congregations will have a communal sedar on the second night.
_________________________________-
No Julia-- I don’t have that problem… but last year we had a student on 246 (he was Muslim I believe) who needed to kneel and pray in the direction of sun 3 times a day. Since there was no real quiet area at the competition that he could do such a thing he had to go back to the hotel and missed a few of our matches because of the long bus lines and travel time…

: Not that it’s obviously priority in a competition like this… but maybe for next year it’s something FIRST could take into consideration… build an extra tent that could be used during the day or at night (I’m not sure exactly what you have to do at Passover) for teams or individuals with special needs like these to use. This is something FIRST could plan in the off season and find out from teams prior who would need this and it can be reserved for them

: too late for this year prolly, but maybe for 2002…