Patriotism and politics

Our country suffers from a terrible plague called AEI disease (short for arrogance, entitlement, and ignorance).
This terrible illness leads to a chronic condition of ingratitude and “follow the crowd” mentality. It is a horrible malady that fogs the brain and shrinks the spirit.

A possible cure: at least a week in a third world country for an attitude adjustment.
I was in Russia, on a concert tour, during the last days of the Soviet Union (it’s armament may have made it a world power, but the people lived in third world conditions). Even now, twelve years later, the shock of it still affects me.

Unfortunately, sending everyone on overseas tours is simply not feasible.

Another possible cure (and a bit more feasible): get more kids involved in FIRST. Get more of our youth, our future, involved in and environment where they are encouraged to think for themselves (as evidenced by the posts I’ve seen), and become better problem solvers.
I was fortunate enough to participate in a program similar in application to FIRST. But, instead of robots, it encompassed the entire High School curriculum. We, the students, were required to design our own course of study (within certain parameters), and follow through with it. I became a heck of a lot less clueless that semester. I faced the world feeling less arrogant, less entitled, and less ignorant.

We must seek out rays of hope such as FIRST.
We must support and encourage them.

I respect your intentions in the creation of this thread very much, and I agree with you, wholeheartedly. Perhaps the Moment Of Silence thread was a bad choice in the setting for starting a verbal firefight…

I find it a tad disappointing that this single thread has gone this long without a reply, so I think I’ll spark a mini-brushfire… (I hope it grows out of control. I want to be inspired, I want to inspire others, I want there to be massive amounts of proliferation of ideas, I want to know your opinion on everything, and I don’t care who you are.)

I think everyone should take the time to read this (or at least a good portion of it, I realize it’s rather long):
The Sociology and Psychology of Terrorism

Please be aware that this report was written before September 11th.

**"While nothing is easier than to denounce the evildoer,

nothing is more difficult than to understand him."**

• Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoevsky

Please be respectful of one another.

I admit that I am not the most polite of people, on this message board, and I’m sorry, but I’m practically always up for intelligent discussion…

*Originally posted by FotoPlasma *
**I admit that I am not the most polite of people, on this message board, and I’m sorry, but I’m practically always up for intelligent discussion… **

I think most of us are up for intelligent discussion. Thats why we like stating our ideas and thoughts, even if they seem controversial. So Jim, you arent alone.

“so I think I’ll spark a mini-brushfire… (I hope it grows out of control. I want to be inspired, I want to inspire others, I want there to be massive amounts of proliferation of ideas, I want to know your opinion on everything, and I don’t care who you are.)”

Quote from Photoplasma

From Miss Tree,
I look forward to it. The mind becomes more open as ideas and points of view are discussed. New insights are gained as things we have not yet considered are brought into our view.
An open mind is far more useful than a closed fist (to pummel someone with).

"I admit that I am not the most polite of people, on this message board, and I’m sorry, but I’m practically always up for intelligent discussion… "

Quote from Photoplasma

From Miss Tree,
I don’t think you’ve said anything the least bit offensive (at least to me). I liked the fresh perspective. I just felt there needed to be a better space for debate.