Perfect Alliance

From watching week 1 matches (quals and elims), I was wondering what everyone thought would be the “perfect” or normal alliance (last year being 2 tall bots for scale and 1 small for switch, vault, and defense).

Also does this normal alliance differ in qualification matches where teams are trying to score ranking points vs elimination matches where points are points where ever you can get them.

What I have observed is in quals is one tall robot that can climb level 3 and fill up the rocket (hatched at least and higher cargo), and either a smaller fast hatch/cargo bot that can quickly fill us the cargo ship with either hatches, cargo or both depending on if null hatches are placed and helping the two bot with lower cargo on the rocket to earn a RP or another tall bot in order to fill a rocket with hatches seeing that’s the harder of the 2 game pieces to score and finally a smaller bot that can help place cargo in the cargo ship as well as playing defense.

What I have observed is in elims is one tall robot that can climb level 3 and fill up the rocket (hatch at least and higher cargo), a smaller fast hatch/cargo bot that can quickly fill us the cargo ship with either hatches, cargo or both depending on if null hatches are placed and helping the tall bot with lower cargo on the rocket, and finally a smaller bot that can help place cargo in the cargo ship as well as playing defense.

The elimination alliance I mentioned (tall rocket, short fast cargo ship, and defense) was seen at the Orange County regional by 330, 973, and 597, they won the regional and were scoring upwards of 90 points in some matches, for week 1 that was big to see something different from last years norm of 2 tall bots, one short bot

What does everyone think that norm alliance will be in both quals and elims?

See discussion here:

1 Like

What I have seen in matches so far is if you have a reliable short robot that can drive well, defense will be killer, considering teams have to place hatches and cargo on the upper levels of the rocket accurately otherwise they will not stay; if a small bot is constantly raming the tall bot on the opposing alliance it’s incredibly more difficult and destroys cycling times. Although on the other side if null hatches are not played and 1 or 2 tall bots fill up a rocket and work on a second while a short fast cycle time bot can fill up the cargo ship.

Level 3 climbs in week 1 matches have been key not only for a ranking point in qualification matches but a separation in elimination. I think it’s possible in later weeks to have cycle times where teams can score 12 points in a similar amount of time, but at the speed number 1 alliances can climb they can keep scoring game pieces and in the last 10 seconds they quickly climb.

If I was a number 1 robot, most likely a tall bot that can climb level 3 getting as many RPs as possible, would choose a fast cycle time short bot that by itself could fill the cargo ship with cargo and hatches and finally with the last pick of selections bots are limited, I would get the fasts and not with best drivers that can play critical defense. On the other side of the spectrum if I were a number 8 alliance picking I would most likely be a robot that is a faster cycleing time bot that can not get the higher levels of the rocket, I would choose the best remaining short fast cycling time but that can possible place the 2 lowers levels of rocket and cargo ship and finally another fast cycling time short bot. With all these smaller bots no bull hatches will be needed, one partner will focus on the cargo ship while the other focuses on the lower levels of the rockets, the last bit will help where needed on rocket or cargo ship, and if not needed play defense on the tall bot on the other alliance (or whatever not is scoring rocket) to even out the alliances.

Same question for you, if you’re number 1 or 8 alliance what robots are you picking?

I definitely agree with your analysis of what made the OC alliance good, I believe the best alliance you could put together at a regional would be a tall robot specializing in rocket, then a small fast robot to fill the cargo ship and help with balls on lower levels of rocket, then a fast and good defense bot with a ramp for climbing. The best alliance that we see at worlds I think will end up being a tall bot with a fast rocket rotation and a three bot climb (citrus circuits maybe?), a secondary tall bot who is really fast on cargo, and who has ability to do rocket as well (I think 118 would actually be quite good on this role), and a fast defensive who really knows how to deny the other alliance. I think that one amazing robot, while still very effective, could be beat out by a very good alliance this year, because of the lack of the scale. The second robot is going to be much more important this year.

There are 20 low goals, and 12 high goals, the field is set up sufficiently constrained so that defense is going to be important, but the rules are definite that only one robot may play defense at a time. I expect that the “Perfect Alliance” will consist of one high goal scorer, one low goal scorer, and one defensive robot. Somewhere in the mix will be start and end-game getting onto and off of L2 and L3; a triple L3 scorer will have a definite advantage if it can do the rest of its job well.

1 Like

With most teams averaging below 11 cycles currently, I see that there is no purpose to nessessarily need a high bot no matter what seed you are. I agree that it is a nice to have to open up scoring options, but the only thing that matters in the end is the net cycles of the team and with 24 cycles for low bots to do they could easily spend the whole match just filling these. This would make the ideal alliance 2 scorers wheather tall or short and then would allow for a final pick of defender, no matter the seed.

Having the second(smaller) robot be so important this year was a good change in the game seeing that last year was dominated by tall, scale bots.

I agree with your prediction at worlds, especially seeing 1678’s 3 bot climb, and a couple other teams who are planing to do triple L3 climbs.

I agree right now, an only low bot alliance would be effective, but it is week 1 and the more drive practice teams get I think having a tall bot will ultimately succeeded, especially if null hatches are played.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.