Periodic Table of the Defenses

While my team members are working on strategies and robot designs, I am still struggling to remember what the “Cheval de Frise” is. To continue after the Periodic Table of the Stacks from RR, here is the Periodic Table of the Defenses! Let me know if something needs changing, or if I cannot spell.

Periodic Table of the Defenses.pdf (1.95 MB)

Periodic Table of the Defenses.pdf (1.95 MB)

This is amazing for scouting! Thanks

To make the pronunciation easier on me, I call it “the French thing”. I have to explain which one I’m talking about, but I’d have to do that anyways if I tried to properly pronounce it.:stuck_out_tongue:

I endearingly refer to it as the ‘teeter totters’.

While most people will likely understand, using official terminology (as obtuse as it may be) is always preferred. When you are communicating with other teams, such as your alliance partners when determining match strategy, there should be no ambiguity. You may as well get in the habit of using the official names now.

Personally, I’m all for calling it “Shovel the Fries”

Call it Horse Strawberries, it translates directly to strawberry of horses; that grim humor makes it quite easy to remember

frise actually translate to “curl” when speaking of hair, or the edge near the ceiling when speaking walls.
In this case Frise is the name of a european region witch probably invented that thing :yikes:

source: first language is French

SHOVEL THE FRIES

Really… Intresting

And for those of us that long ago agreed to volunteer to work the field at numerous events before actually seeing what we volunteered for (read…Got ourselves into)…We all thank you since we are attempting to memorize a brand new language (and the game associated field pieces), as quickly as possible. I’m printing out your cheat sheet diagram right now.

Now, since the Audience picks for the Spot 3 requires that both sides get exact duplicates (and the Low Bar in Spot 1 are always on the field in spot#1…The total of Defenses pcs. required for each field are 18 total pcs. and there are only 10 on the field at any one time, which leaves 8 pcs. to be stored off field all the time (extras are usually stored out of camera range so the field/arena area appears uncluttered, and for associated safety of participants and crew moving about constantly).

Can you tell us how many pounds daily will be lifted and moved, and exactly how far the reset/Defense Co-Coordinator crew will have to lug those from field to storage and storage to field every match all day please? Inquiring minds with bodies getting older daily just wish to know. LOL. (At least RR last year conditioned our bodies for Stronghold by movement of hundreds of game pcs. onto/off the field repeatedly, and thousands/thousands of lbs. lifted over each event, after event, after event). Deja Vu anyone?

But, the view of the field in action up close is amazing! So, the labor is gladly volunteered and the food is usually very good, the company of others to die for.:smiley:

It would definitely curl a riders hair (even if & especially if, you the rider are wearing all that heavy fighting armor), when a horse starts stepping all over & on those nasty “teeter totter” like objects of defense & war and causing itself those huge very nasty strawberry looking bruises and open wounds to legs and belly and then starts freaking totally out, all the while you the knight are attempting to battle enemy and trusty steed both for your very life.

Oh, the art of war, she is very grim.

My team has taken to affectionately referring to it as the ‘Cheval de Fridge’ or just the ‘Fridge’ because when presenting strategies a boy kept pronouncing it that way.

I just wanted to second this. I am so excited to be working the field for various events for this game! :smiley:

I think I am Defense Coordinator at least once, so I am already planning on putting this in a sleeve and writing on it with white board markers OR printing out and laminating the pieces and having them velcro into the positions.

These are the things teachers who volunteer think about. :rolleyes:

The field CAD shows casters on the bottom of each of the defensive components. The casters look to be arranged in a pattern to prevent reversed placement.

My team does the same thing. We also say “French Quarter.” We call the porticullsi the guillotine and the cheval the shovel.

the way i remember the defenses:
Port (portcullis)
Sally (sally’s port)
Seesaw (Cheval de frias )
Rock (rock wall)
Moat (you’ll have no idea what this one is)
Drawbrige
Rough (rough terrain)
and Ramp (ramparts)
I hope this helps and you have a safe and amazing build season!!

I think this is hurting more than helping because they the students should put some effort to know the name of the defenses but this is just me

The castors were also mentioned in the FIRST blog last week.

Emphasis mine.

French: Cheval de frise literally means “Frisian horse” The Frisians, having few cavalry, relied heavily on such anti-cavalry obstacles in warfare. (wikipedia)

Back when I did Revolutionary War re-enacting we saw these on battlefields.
If you ever go to Yorktown you will see reproductions of them Quite effective and until barbed wire came along they were used to repel cavalry. Of course the originals did not rotate like these. They were rigid and came to points. Below is a picture from the actual Petersburg battlefield (Civil War) (courtesy wikipedia)

my first language is
German my family came from Alsace-Lorraine… annexed by French after WWI…

chevaux de frise.jpg

chevaux de frise.jpg