pic: 1293's drive system

So sometime back in build (February 6, according to the EXIF data), I was over at 1293’s shop. (Never burn bridges, folks.)

I had a camera with me, and they had their drive system largely together, so I had to sneak a picture. I swore I wouldn’t stick it up until ship, but…uh, guess I let that slip (pun very much intended).

Treadmill-bot? :stuck_out_tongue: Is it a completely flat bottom surface on the tracks? How well did it turn?

Any pictures of the arm? Is it made out of diamond plate? Seems like a heavy material choice for an arm. Is it jointed or does it telescope? I see a window motor in the bottom left hand corner, maybe for a wire spool?

Sorry, lots of questions, looks like a very unique design, I can see why they wanted you to wait. :slight_smile:

Mike C.

I didn’t touch their robot this year, but I know this much:

1. 80/20 elevator. In essence, it’s Ockham (their 2005 machine) with tracks and a different gripper. (Actually, I think they robbed some of Ockham’s 80/20 and re-cut it for Atlas.) It was driven by a pair of window motors. I don’t have any pictures of it, but perhaps someone on the team can bail me out here.
  2. The base, far as I could tell, is flat on the bottom. They ended up grinding down every other link’s tread at Palmetto, and I didn’t see any turning issues in our two matches together.

Wait, are you telling me that those tracks are individual links?
Do tell :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, this is the best picture I can find of Atlas. Considering this was taken the night-ish before ship, it’s a little more completed. :stuck_out_tongue: It’ll at least show what the window motor was used for and the materials for the arm…
(Note to self: buy a camera next year so I can take halfway decent bot pictures…)

Here’s a link to a video of the bot in action, a little earlier in build. (Note: before the second pneumatic cylinder was added to the arm.)

D5 Robotics – Atlas, the Awakening

This one shows the arm in its full splendor.
D5 Robotics – Customize your Pizza!

Sorry I don’t have better pictures, feel free to ask for more clarification. :slight_smile:

EDIT::Oh, yeah, it turned pretty well…as long as it was going full speed. We thought we had a traction problem, but it was really a code-making-the-treads-go-too-slow problem. Hence the grinding of the links.

how did it handle?

Mike

Here are slightly better pictures showing arm, gripper & better shot of treads.
The tower was diamond plated aluminum, with all the water jet cut outs, it was very light, 3-4lbs if I remember right. The center circle of each x on the sides are the 3 schools logos that make up D5 Robotics.

Gabe

If you haven’t already viewed the videos, yes they are individual plastic links with 2 rubber tread grips on each link. Way too much traction! No one was able to move us an inch sideways, even on the hardest hits. Even if code errors were fixed and grinding off every other rubber grip, we still would have had slight difficulty with traction in turns. The slickest feature was two bolts removed the entire track assembly on each side for super quick repairs.

Wait until next years secret design. Can you say “Omni-treads” :ahh: Opps, too much info!!!

http://d5robotics.org/Content/Full/443.jpg
http://d5robotics.org/Content/Full/444.jpg

Did you buy these treads or manufacture them yourselves? If you bought em… where? I want some! :eek:

-q

I remember it being a product called uni chain. 1293’s had it sitting in their shop since 2005, and it also saw use on Chomp’s shooter wheels last year. It’s pretty awesome stuff in the right hands.

Thanks! Should be a nice change from the BrecoFlex stuff we’ve been using since 2002/3.

-q

nice drive syestem man how did you put that together my team wants to do a tank drive if you have any hints please do tell

Looks like a pretty serious drivetrain!

Here is the breakdown of our track modules.
On the front side, the sprocket was mounted to two CIMs via a banebot gearbox. On the back, the green radius was fitted into large slots & spring loaded for track tension. The 2 small square holes were fitted to our 80/20 frame, which slid all the way through to the orange plate & was held with one bolt each. Extremely robust but slightly on the heavy side at around 11 lbs each (if I remember correctly).

http://d5robotics.org/Content/Full/447.jpg

Did it climb ramps?

how pricey were they?

what kind of material did you use for the treads themselves and what is the green material in the middle?

I know this is from a while ago, but are there any other pictures of this design? We would love to know more about it, especially how the inside of it worked.