pic: 1323's PowderCoated Render

Just found this pic, we got this back during the end of week 3. Kinda looked like a render to me for a sec…

Well I just have to ask …

HOW do you get through concept then prototype, then enough detailed design and fabrication to get (what appears to be) a complete frame fabricated and out for powder coating in time for it to be BACK BEFORE the halfway point in “build season” ?? I’m dumbfounded … (not surprising for those who know me …)

That is a beautiful frame.

That’s impressive to have that out by week 3. To make a decision on gameplay, then CAD it out, then machine it, then weld it, then get it powdercoated in 3 weeks is very impressive. Nice job.

How much does it weigh?

Woah it does look like a render. Green and blue contrast + lighting effect.

What’s the weight on your frame?

Well, design has always been fast for us. We start concepting on Sunday along with Engineers and set goals. Come back to school and proto ideas. By Wednesday we finalize and start Cadding away. Then on Sat we start machining like crazy. We have used a 6 wheel drive since 2005 and we have been improving the chassis every year (first year of 8wd, but we could easily switch to 6wd). Adding more flexablilty to it (Rev 6 currently being worked on). Everything is done inhouse, nothing is shipped out.

Plus due to EWCP and working with other teams. It’s just a better way of brainstorming and sharing ideas than just with your team. Some of our mods came from 11, 816 and 1771’s advice early on.

We weighed about 40.2 pounds for that whole frame right there. BTW, there are only 8 rails that are 1/8th thick: The Mast and the bottom chassis rails. Most of it is pocketed 1/16th inch aluminum.

Wow this pic so does look like a render i thought it was photoshopped:ahh:

Congrats again on the CA this year - well deserved!!

Did you powdercoat in that trailer? You mentioned about doing it all “in house” and wondered if that also meant “in trailer” as well.

I can’t agree more about have a frame done by the third week. The past couple years, we try to have a frame welded and ready by the end of the second week. We have yet to do any powder coating though. Unfortunately, this year we didn’t finish it until the end of the third week. In 2007, we had the whole bot done during the 5th week. That allowed us to utilize almost a full week of practice, programming, and tweaking. It’s amazing how more competitive you are when you have a week to practice and perfect the robot.

We actually somehow managed to have 2 frames done and welded by the end of week one, kinda not typical for us

… and I know you guys had an awesome robot this year, Midwest Champions AND Regional Chairman’s, AND WI Champions! Congratulations on your success! You must be doing something right …

But I have to wonder … are we forgetting about the science and technical INSPIRATION, and just rushing to build a robot as fast as possible? I just dont understand how, even working long hours every day the first week, anyone could get through a reasonable engineering/design process and have something built that quickly. Maybe I need to rotate through some other teams over the next couple of years to undetstand how that happens …

1323, 11, 816, and 1771 worked together extensively during week 1 and 2. The various designs RC’s team had were productions of years past combined with the best designs we could “borrow” from other teams.

I can’t speak for them, but some teams spend the other 46 weeks of the year teaching and inspiring students, then spend the six weeks applying it as fast as possible to make a competitive robot. Six weeks is too short to do serious teaching while designing/fabricating/assembling/programming a competition robot.

You have to understand the energy with which we begin build season with. The day after finals we are already planning for next season. A week after finals and we already have a full years agenda. A month after finals and we are probably already halfway through it.

We also don’t work long hours every day the first week. . .every day after kickoff we LIVE in the shop. All the way till finals we are in the shop.

We also don’t “rush” to build a robot (no offense:). The engineering/design process is a constant process where every day after the initial design we find any problem with the design. If any is found we correct it immediately.

I also have to say…we have an incredible welder. SHE does good work!

wow
I wish we could powdercoat our robot, then it might look cool:rolleyes:

Thanks and powdercoating would be so cool inside a trailer. I take the inhouse thing back, powdercoating is the “Only” thing we send out. Hoping I don’t eat my words again. :wink:

That is awesome Aren, we applied for three grants for another CNC. We plan to make two frames next year. One practice bot and is CNC’d (freshman training and protoing it) and the other for real.

We took ideas from different teams, advice from the EWCP, and surpisely enough we created: A CAD library of drivetrains for different situations. Also we didn’t do a more complicated drive, so it didn’t as long.

Art is right, we do all the learning and teaching during the offseason. Once season hits, people still learn. But the ones that know their stuff are leads and the unsure ones just help out as much as they can.

Andres, I can’t agree with you more. We already have a ton of plans and a calendar full of events. Now its time to execute, good luck teams for the 2010 season.

We did go through our process, just this time their was alot less arguing and everyone immediately came to a consensus on the sunday after kickoff (unheard of).

We try to focus as much as possible on teaching members outside of the build season to have them as prepared as possible to hit the ground running.

plus having 2 welded frames doesnt say too much as we quickly chose to go straight for a simple wide 4wd with toughboxes, nothing fancy (as opposed to a crab)

lots of what Art said applies

Manual mill and bandsaw ftw
didnt even waterjet anything this year i believe, so no cnc whatsoever