pic: 1538's Practice Electronics Board



Our electronics board for our practice robot mid-build season. This was 1538’s first year using a waterjet bellypan and I’m very happy with the results. I learned many electrical techniques this year, so special thanks to our software and electrical mentor Kiet. I’m definitely proud of my work on the practice and competition boards.

It’s… so… neat…

Absolutely beautiful, I wish I could have done that when I was in high school. Also, those blue needlenose pliers are so useful!

Yet another picture I will show to our electrical people and say: This is what we need! it can be done!..

If I’m looking at them correctly, those are not pliers per say, but more like little cutters. Regardless, their usefullness stands strong.

  • Sunny G.

i can’t take my eyes off of how neat the sidecar is :eek:

Diagonal Cutters is the word you are looking for .

I see you guys have adopted the 254/968 way of wiring from Kiet.

It’s so beautiful!

-Nick

Actually I believe they are flush cutters, most likely of the Xuron brand, but possible Xcelite.

I’d like to know what p/n of terminals you used on the Victors, and if you had to sand them to fit.

Curious, what did you run 4 spikes for?

Conner,
One of the best electrical wiring jobs I have ever seen. In addition to the nice layout, everything is very short giving the best electrical loss layout. The only thing I could think of, is the PD bridging the distance between two sides. Please remember this is one giant circuit board with a lot of copper on it. The mechanical stress it is likely to encounter might cause a break in the board. If it is not firmly attached to both sides, you should be OK.
Gold Star!!!

We actually ran 5, but one’s missing from this picture.

1 for a compressor
2 for our intake system (field -> hopper)
2 for our chute system (hopper -> shooter)

Conner, do you think you could get together with Kiet to put together a simple white paper about the methods/part numbers/wire choice (brand, source)/terminals/tips that he taught you this year? Do you use nylon/other plastic hardware to mount electronics? What is the best generic layout? Does having a waterjet hole pattern for electronics really force you to keep a clean layout?

Would be great to have these down on paper if you folks get the time. Thanks!

What motors, ratio, and diameter were these run on?

We debated running our various conveyors on them, but were afraid of tripping the fuse with a 500 sized motor.

That’s an amazingly clean layout. It’s almost ridiculously clean. I’d be concerned that any wiring issues would be hard to fix without ruining it.

Forgive the nitpicks, but is the cRIO insulated from the frame? And you do know that it’s never been legal to replace the Spike fuses with breakers except on the one controlling the compressor, right? I’m also curious why the PDB isn’t rotated 180 degrees so the power wires to the Victors and the Spikes don’t cross each other, and the cRIO power can run a shorter distance, though I can see it would be a tradeoff against the battery position.

We have some adhesive rubber between the cRIO and the frame. As for the breakers, we only used the for testing on the practice bot. The battery was our biggest concern with the PDB, and finding room for 4 gauge wire was difficult even with the short run. I will post more photos when we take apart the practice bot.

This sounds like a great idea. I will talk to Kiet about it.

Thanks Al,

The PD mount area is very rigid as there is a supporting 2x1x1/8" cross member with holes for solid standoffs to mount the electronics plate to.

There is little to no wobble when trying to move the PD.

They’re Xuron brand flush cutters.

The spade terminals that we used were sourced from McMaster-Carr, PN 69145K62. These fit perfectly in the Victor terminals. We did not need to modify these connectors.

I was curious about that too. We’ve learned over the years we have vastly fewer problems when we keep the crosses strictly perpendicular rather than running them parallel and wrapped up in a bundle.

Apart from that, it looks absolutely beautiful. I approve. :slight_smile:

As mentioned earlier, space constraints were very tight with this robot. We needed to have a shorter mains wire run between the PDB and the battery box area.

Regardless, we did not have any issues mounting the PDB as pictured.