pic: 1983 robot

This is a render of “The Stench” that was done to take with the team to the 2009 World Championships.

This robot was AWESOME.

WOW. i see this render, and i’m not sure how you did not win the award…

I think the polycarbonate cover adds alot to the robot. Why isn’t it in the render? (except that it blocks all the nice inner detail).

Thank you for the comments. The polycarb is not in the render as it does block all of the inner detail. When the robot is lit in Inventor Studio the polycarb reflects so much that it deters from the overall render.

An incredible model of a fantastic robot!

Keep up the good work, guys!

I also agree that in person the polycarb really adds a lot to the appearance of the robot, but I LOVE seeing all the great electronics detail. I know how much work goes into that, and you guys really did a great job. I’m already looking forward to seeing next year’s model!

Easily one of the most unique looking and attractive robots this year, and it moves quite well also. :smiley:

Thanks Stephanie :slight_smile: Maybe next year I will be able to do some remote CADing from WPI… And thank you Glenn, but I do think that it would be a little prettier powder coated black with some 359 red accents :wink:

It’s too bad about the reflection of the polycarb, I think it would’ve looked really nice with it. Remote CADing from WPI! What!

it took me a few moments to find out this was a rendering and not a photo.

that is amazing

That is a sweet render…

-RC

Thank you for all of your compliments. A lot of hard work went into this model and it is a fantastic feeling to get such positive feedback.

Its a great render of a very nice machine. Have you tried using photoshop to blend together a couple of different renders of the robot (one with poly, one without)? That might allow you to have polycarb over part of the robot, but rub it out to show the inner detail in places.

One of the fun tricks I get my animation students to do is to render their models rotating with all the textures and lighting, then re-do the render with just the polygon edges. Using a video editing program you can transition between the two different animations and get this really cool appearance of the model gradually shifting from fully rendered to raw polygons.

Not a big trick, or a complex trick, but maybe one that would help out with the glare problem?

Great work!

Jason

Thank you for the advice Jason. After we finished the model one of our team members who is learning 3DSMAX imported the model into MAX and found that it was to big to really work on… Off the top of my head I think that it was somewhere around 2.7 million polygons… I would love to do a rotating/transitioning video with dynamic lighting and shadows, but even opening full model nearly crashes our school computer… :stuck_out_tongue: