pic: 217 underglow

This is a close-up of the 217 bot. More pictures to follow.

ah…cool but are those lights legal?

Can they disrupt the sensors of other robots during autom mode?
I’m going to ask the Head Inspector about this.

(I don’t myself)
:rolleyes:

Can they disrupt the sensors of other robots during autom mode?

No they can’t. They are not even close to being the right wavelenght. If they could then you wouldn’t be able to see the light. Not to mention the whole modulation issue which prevents that stuff from happening. Anyway Im love the whole idea though is that glass or is it wire? Personally I think everyone should just use EL wire.

Yes they’re legal - they’re for decoration only.

It’s a glass tubing with a plastic protective sheath. It’s a standard under-body light used on cars. We were going to put them on our ThunderCart, but with the Noise Restriction, that had to be scrapped.

Carts and cars are ok, but bots are questionable.
:confused:

It’s a glass tubing with a plastic protective sheath.

Thats good to know. We wouldn’t want glass all over the arena if that thing shatters. Just to let you know they make a wire version of neon lamps called EL wire. It’s pretty cool.

The EL wire is $3 per foot. These tubes were free. If they break, we’ll take them off.

Yes, they are legal.

I would reccommend reading the following 2 rules. If your light is hit by another robot and the glass breaks, it can damage the field or other bots. I do not know if a glass light tube is allowed. Plus (if its gas filled) if it breaks, the enclosd gases may be considered dangerous by their MSDS forms.

<R13> Robot wheels, tracks, and other parts intended to provide traction on the playing field (“traction devices”) may be purchased or fabricated. In no case, will traction devices that damage the carpet or other playing surfaces be permitted. Traction devices may not have surface features such as metal, sandpaper, or hard plastic studs, cleats, or other attachments. Anchors, i.e. devices that are deployed/used to keep one’s robot in one place and prevent if from being moved by another robot, cannot use metal in contact with the
carpet or other playing surfaces to “stay put.” Gaining traction by using adhesives or Velcro-like fastener material is not allowed.

<R58> Decorations may draw power from the 12v electrical system as long as they are powered via a dedicated 20A or 30A circuit breaker and do not affect the operation of other control system components.

Those prices are a tad bit too expensive.

<R58> Decorations may draw power from the 12v electrical system as long as they are powered via a dedicated 20A or 30A circuit breaker and do not affect the operation of other control system components.

That really is not an issue since there are inverters that draw off an 12v supply and since this is a car tube then more than likely it draws off of 12v.

i know from experence ( underglow hitting curbs ) that the glass tubes break. but the glass stays inside the plasitc! every one needs to chill out, the lights are perfectly legal from the damaging-the-field perspective. and from an electrical standpoint, they draw 12 volts thrugh an inverter, so agein they are apsolutly alowed.

the underglow neons cost about $4 for up to 36". cc ( cold cathode ) costs about $18 for 14". and EL wire costs about $2-3 per foot, and is usaly only sold in 3 or 9 foot strands; and in adition you need an extra inverter that is not usaly included.

so anyway, great lighting job lol if we had extra weight i would so do that!

Good enough for me. :slight_smile:

Looks great Paul, you and your entire team should be very proud. I can’t wait to see it compete.

Stop by the 229 pit if you ever get a minute, part of our robot was definitely influenced by 217-2002. :wink: I probably owe you guys a coke or something. (there is a loooooooong list).

Kudos,
John