pic: 254/968 More Swerve Parts!

Swerve? Oh boy. This will be quite the experience to see you guys… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hmm…Stuff has been leaking out of the Poofs’ shop. Apparently, 1868 shares the shop. They’ve released a frame pic that looks like the Poofs’ traditional frame. I would guess, though it’s kind of improbable, that 1868 is collaborating with the Poofs/RAWC group. The frame pic can’t handle a swerve at all. In fact, it’s a six-wheel frame.

Nice attempt at misleading.

still using these then?
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/29514

lies! lies i say, this travis is a sneaky kid he had me going

Only two teams are part of our collaboration :wink:

I did say improbable.

anytime you need add one more to make a trio, let us know.
We’ll send pineapples, shave ice, and macadamia nut chocolates on a regular basis.
Actually, your old design pics are priceless. :wink:

So this year will be the year of the twins instead of the triplets?:cool:

That is one heck of a shaft…nice

I don’t believe it. The other picture has what looks to be the drive shafts for the outer wheels, and these look like the transmission output shafts. With those parts, it could be a coaxial swerve, but these output shafts seem excessively long for that.

they are going their normal west coast drive this is the exact part for thier dog shifting transmission output shaft! lies i tell you!:stuck_out_tongue:

What makes you say we still aren’t going with swerve? Our modules aren’t the ones pictured, but who says we don’t have some of our own? hmm?:smiley:

Oh Travis, you’re a funny guy.

Hey Travis, Did you do these with soft jaws on the mill? Or just a 4th Axis? I was hexing a few shafts at work the other day and we used a lathe with live tooling and a tailstock center. What in your opinion is better?

Glenn you get my vote for collaborating with us if you send chocolate and yes 1868 shares the lab

These are made on a screw machine. Similar to a live tooled lathe, except there’s a bushing in the headstock that allows the material to be fed out to the tool, so you’re constantly cutting at the spindle nose with no overhang. I’m not aware of any machine that can make these more efficiently.

Yeah Cory here is a question for you, how long have you been making that same shaft? I pretty sure you guys have that one down to a science, it doesn’t get any more efficient then a screw machine either. Great stuff, out of curiosity whats your tolerance on the machined hex?

We have made shafts similar to these since 2007. The 2006 shafts were slightly simpler and didn’t have the 5/8" hex. Each year the shaft changes slightly as well, usually to accommodate differing gearbox configurations, wheel width changes, etc.

The tolerance on the hex portions of these shafts is ±.0005, but that may be overkill depending on the precision you require and the amount of slop you deem acceptable.

We no longer made them this way, but just for reference to everyone our very first set was made on a manual lathe, and then hexed on a manual mill with a cnc indexer (just lets you specify rotation angle). We’ve also made a few in house as a proof of concept, and simpler ones for other systems, both on a manual mill and manual lathe.

For season our sponsor with a live-tooled lathe runs them, the next best thing to a screw machine in this case.