After being the final pick of 1771 and 1114 on Galileo, 1114 came to inspect our robot. We were equipped with a rail-style deployer, with a drawer track on a hinge and a crossbow-style launcher. This was bolted onto a cheesed platform, almost like a wireframe of a box on the back of our robot. They had a ramp, which much faster. Better was that they also had a second, prototype ramp, and the best part? Our minibot platform was at the perfect height to use it.
After a full systems check, we started removing our deployer as the first eliminations on our field began. By our first match, we had it completely off. While our driveteam and robots played, they, with the help of our pitcrew, mounted their spare deployer on a piece of plywood. We won our two quarterfinal matches, and mounted the plywood-deployer assembly onto the minibot platform using double stick tape and a bolt or two through the cheese. Before our first semifinal, we had the entire thing mounted, reattached to pneumatics, programmed(by our driver(me!)), including a fire-at-10 seconds routine, and tested.
Unfortunately, in our first semifinal the ramp was knocked loose of the pneumatic piston and flopped down early, which was a problem because we were playing defense. Then 1771 got confused over who was deploying and attempted to deploy over us on the same pole. Neither of our bots went up, and we lost. The next match, everything went perfectly, except when we deployed, the minibot flew back into our robot instead of going up the pole after going up the ramp. We found the final ramp section had been bent back, angling it away from the pole. We hadn’t checked the deployer thouroghly, and it either became bent when 1771 deployed over us or when we were playing defense with the deployer down, as it had become entangled in another robot at one point. We lost.
No happy endings, but I wanted to share something amazing that happened on Galileo. We didn’t build an entire robot in a day- but we did build a minibot ramp during elminations. Thanks to 1114 for picking us and for the deployer (it’s hanging on the wall), we didn’t win much, but I can’t think of many better ways to end my career as a FIRST student. Working with you was an experience unto itself.
PS. You looked at us funny when we suggested laying down the double-stick tape, but when we got back to our pits and undid the bolts, it took two people to get the thing off. Some chunks of wood were more attached to the tape than to the deployer and ripped out of the base, and are still stuck on our robot.