pic: 295 chassis 1/19/09

team 295s chassis as of 1/19/09 robot “A”

So, no ground pick up this year?

its not in our strategy, but keep in mind this is just the frame. (waterjet cutters are awesome)

How much does that weigh as pictured?

It looks pretty light…

How thick is the side rails of your frame?
With a lot of unanswered questions about the sides attached to bumpers and the cantilevered wheel questions, would that pass inspection?
The fact that the side rails are also lightened based on your cutouts, would that meet the bumper attachment rules?
My concern is that we have been discussing such options, but haven’t figured whether it would pass or not.

its weighs 21.4 lbs.

we are planing on attaching the bumpers on the side rails, and the front and back bumpers on the front and back rails, which have a 3/4 inch top and bottom for the bumpers. the wheels are not cantelevered, we just have not cut the axles back yet.

also the rails are made from 1/8" 5052 alloy

I would check with the GDC committee, as it may help answer questions for a lot of other teams.
The fact that your cutouts are “open spaces” which does not provide backing to the bumpers may be an issue. We would like to know the answer also.

The reason why we haven’t submitted a question similar (with a diagram), is because we dont have a frame yet. The GDC committee already stated that 1/8" rails are not strong enough, and thus, wont be allowed either.

I surely hope the GDC is not referring to 1/8" aluminum when used like this. This frame design is plenty strong enough and will not cause the robot to fail. That would be utterly absurd for the GDC to tell us that now we must build our frame out of 3/16" or 1/4" aluminum plate stock and that we also can’t lighten the material.

Glenn, I think you’re grossly oversimplifying the Q&A response you’re alluding to.

There’s miles of difference between “one particular implementation of 1/8-inch plate on standoffs may not be allowed” and “nothing made of 1/8-inch aluminum will be allowed”.

So who constructed your chassis, Motorola?

That may be true, however, after reading Dave’s response to Cory, I would interpret it as such.
Dont get me wrong, I love this chassis.
The worst part is doing all of this work, and it not passing inspection. It doesnt hurt to ask the GDC. If they say its OK, it will help alleviate possible questions that other teams may have about similar setups.
I truly believe that this chasis will withstand any situations during the competitions this season, but its not a matter of opinion, its what’s written in black and white.

Specifically, we wanted to put a thick solid plate on every section that a bumper is to be attached, except small portions where our wheels were (to allow easy access for changing them-cantilevered).

I would find it very hard to believe that this would not be allowed, especaily because its flanged.

What is this supposed to mean?

our design team drew it up and one of our sponsors Harris and Bruno Intl. fabricated the drawings.

You’ve uncovered a bit of a problem in the communication stream. Dave’s posts may provide insight into the (twisted) mind of one part of the GDC, but officially they don’t count for anything, and relying on them is foolhardy at best. On the other hand, history tells me I’m safe betting a box of Krispy Kremes that posting this picture to the Q&A with the question “will this satisfy ?” won’t get a reply any more insightful than “we can’t comment on specific designs without a full investigation, so we leave it up to the lead inspector at your event”.

I definitely encourage the team to try asking, but when you say:

…what we’ve seen so far indicates to me that, in fact, that’s what it’s going to come down to.

I don’t think it’s fair of you to criticize Glenn for being overly cautious in his interpretation of the GDC and Dave’s words. With the bumpers rules and clarifications so far this year, I think it’d be wise to stand by “Never bitten, twice shy” (had to modify it a bit for us).

It certainly wasn’t my intention to criticize Glenn, and I would apologize to him if that’s how I came off. Being particularly cautious seems to be the ticket to success this season. My point is that there hasn’t been any official word that “1/8-inch rails won’t be allowed”, and spreading it as fact has the potential to cause heartache to other teams.

when you say draw, do you mean a rough sketch?