pic: 4183 Testbead Chassis

This is a prototype chassis we built to provide a platform for prototypes during build season. The frame is constructed from 1x3 red oak planks and 1/4" birch plywood. The framerails have axle holes drilled for 6wd drop center, 6wd planar, and 8wd using 4" through 8" wheels.

How strong is this frame? Could it hold up to an actual competition? I ask because 4392 builds their robots out of wood. Last year we used the kit frame but maybe our frame this year will be wood, if it could hold up.

This chassis is just our prototype so it will not be able to withstand competition, it is just for attaching various parts to to see if they work for this year’s game. Because we don’t know this year’s game we decided to make out of wood and make it compatible with just about anything we need it to do.

To clarify what kuraikou posted, this chassis would likely be able to withstand competiton but will never have to. The chassis we use in competition will be somewhat more sophisticated…

Also, 4183 is proud to be the first team to post a drivetrain with Talon speed controllers on Chief Delphi!!

Alright. So it seems sturdy. That’s good to know. we’ll see what we do when kickoff comes around.

I take it those are the optional fan mounts? Any reason for attaching those?

For anyone wondering if the wood will hold up in FRC, look up FRC 1771 in the CD images. They’ve used since 2009, and have never really had an issue with it “holding up”.

• Sunny G.

A better example might be 173 RAGE, who has used a Birch chassis almost exclusively since at least 2001, and have won a Championship and a division and several regionals with it. (and pre-bumper era too!)

Search CD media for it, it’s arranged very similar to yours. I would suspect your frame would hold up quite well with some aluminum angle on the corners and a few cross braces between the drive plates.

They came with the First Choice Talons. Running the Talons at 40 amp for two minutes can get them pretty hot, so by adding a very small amount of weight and complexity, we are keeping the Talons cool, and are likely to extend their life.

neat chassis!

In case no one here knows…Gary (GUI) was the chassis lead for team 1726 in 2008 and 2009…the wood chassis he designed and built in 2009 won the Motorola Quality award (and the blue banner) at the 2009 AZ regional.

I woodn’t diss the concept of a wood chassis for the final robot, and I sure like how this prototype looks in the photo.

I wouldn’t use this specific layout for competition only because the outer frame rails are only supported at the ends. However, the basic “kitchen drawer” design is strong and rigid. This particular chassis has about eight hours of labor to this point, and most of the work was done by students with very little manufacturing experience. We chose wood for this chassis because it is readily available and allows for multiple axle holes and easy mechanism attachment without compromising the structural integrity.

Yeah, the talons are mounted, but electron-starved without an operating cRIO or battery, or or ore oar . . . . . The frame looks good, but drivetrain is best described as embryonic. :wink:

This effective use of resources that are common and easy to you would do well during season.

With some minor tweaks (as you already know I imagine), this could make a great competition chassis/drive.

What is the metal ‘t-shaped’ piece mounted between the power distribution board and the CRio?

It looks like a plastic wire duct. A cover snaps over it. Keeps the wires organized and protected. But that’s just a slightly educated guess…

It’s a very good guess. The duct should help keep the robot’s wiring much neater.

Looks like the wires go the wrong way, maybe?

Great job for some rookies!

I work on the fields at competition, I see a lot of really weird things done with electronics. If you want to make them last, and fairly maintenance free, don’t mount them face up like you did in this picture. Mount them standing or face down (just rotate the crio 90 degrees). It keeps all those pesky metal/wood shavings and dust from causing lots of issues down the line.

It certainly doesn’t look as nice quickly, but if you take the time you can figure out a way to make it look real good. (And don’t forget your Radio too!)

This step is crucial if you use jaguars also, but the victors and talons can probably get away without.

Yes it is a place to put the wires so that they are all nice and neat. As previously mentioned this will probably have a bunch of prototypes attached to it so it needs to save space and be able to be easily movable/removable and if the wires are tangled that will be difficult.

Here she is, all wired up and power applied. Still need to write some code… the programming team is learning Java robot programming this year, so they now have a nice, big, dangerous toy to work with.