pic: 4627 Lasered Electrical Panel

Cut mounting holes and engraved labels and outlines on our new Trotec laser

1 Like

Nice Electrical Panel!

By some odd coincidence, that electronics layout is almost identical to what we’re using this year. :ahh:

If there’s is space to fit, I would put some sort of rubber guard along the cutout for the space around the battery. Even 1/4" tygon tubing split and placed along the edge would be benificial to minimize rubbing or knocking of the battery against a sharp or blunt surface.

We made ours out of plywood. For some reason it doesn’t look as nice as your’s does. Nice work. How are you fastening the RoboRio down? I don’t see any mounting holes for it.

Velcro

What material is that? I cant tell.

WOW! That is an impressive electrical board. I think I need to show this to my electrical team.

Nice work.

Is it metal or some non-conductive material? What are the 4 pairs of holes on the right side for? In the future, you may want to leave more space between the PDP and the components above it so you can run wires more easily.

Is it metal or some non-conductive material? What are the 4 pairs of holes on the right side for? In the future, you may want to leave more space between the PDP and the components above it so you can run wires more easily.

Its an acrylic laminate, so a main body of white acrylic with a thin layer of blue. Engrave away the blue and you get lovely crisp white lines.

https://www.trotec-materials.com/laser-materials/plastic/trolase.html

The holes on the side are for some tie mounts for some pneumatics gear that will live on the back of the board.

Agreed, the wiring is getting a bit tight, but definitely a good starting point. Maybe later in the season I’ll get the students to make a rev 2.

Is that the stuff used to make nameplates and signs?

If it is acrylic, you might need some extra support structure under it. The thickest in this product family is only 3.2 mm thick, about 1/8 inch. Acrylic is know to be more brittle and less resistant to shock than the polycarbonate normally used in FRC robots. It might be best to install the heavier components and try flexing it before you add the wiring or install it in your chassis.

OK. Oops meant to put in a photo of ours but the linkage failed. Oh well. Yours is much prettier.

Yeah we are mounting in on some support bracing

Philso is right: acrylic is notorious for shattering in FRC competition. As beautiful as this board is, I recommend using something else, such as polycarbonate, or even Baltic Birch plywood. This is one of the most critical parts of your robot, and if it breaks will take hours to repair.

Generally speaking, that doesn’t help.

Had a nice, solidly braced, 1/8" (or maybe slightly more) acrylic panel on a robot once, many moons ago. The only acrylic on the robot… Lasted about half a competition before someone made it up another panel (that one, like the rest, was polycarbonate) and put a nice big shatter into it. It was replaced with 1/8" polycarb that’s on that robot to this day.