pic: 599 Drive Teaser

868e6e45b6a48c6016fc2a7874ec79c5_l.jpg

A sneak peak at our drivetrain this year, enjoy.

Four wide IFI wheels with small sprockets. Oh my what an innovative view of a drivetrain – what could they possibly be doing!

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50698. If you’re going to post a teaser, please at least show something interesting or thought provoking. Otherwise, you’re really are just teasing in a rather mean way. Don’t be scared of people stealing your idea. :slight_smile:

Uh oh! What now huh!? Look out SoCal, total pwnage is on the way.

hahaha, i told them their deadline was foh-wheelz. Then told David to take a picture, and there you have it. lol. I wonder what our robot will do with these? hmmmm. lol.

Ok, dont think too hard.

Four wheels, good choice, why reinvent the wheel when you could just copy it and show it as a teaser? You’re not teasing, you’re being mean.

not much of a tease

its not really a tease, its all we have built. lol. Obviously its our drive wheels.

I love it when I see teams with tons of wheels linked together. (this year even my own team) Doesn’t anyone remember from physics that traction is independent from surface area? All that matters is weight, and the coefficient of friction…

not quite…you have ground pressure thrown in there too. in math it may be that the calulations only involve CoF and weight but in the real world its not how it works.

Four wide IFI wheels with small sprockets. Oh my what an innovative view of a drivetrain – what could they possibly be doing!

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50698. If you’re going to post a teaser, please at least show something interesting or thought provoking. Otherwise, you’re really are just teasing in a rather mean way. Don’t be scared of people stealing your idea. :slight_smile:

Uh oh! What now huh!? Look out SoCal, total pwnage is on the way.

Four wheels, good choice, why reinvent the wheel when you could just copy it and show it as a teaser? You’re not teasing, you’re being mean.

not much of a tease

I love it when I see teams with tons of wheels linked together. (this year even my own team) Doesn’t anyone remember from physics that traction is independent from surface area? All that matters is weight, and the coefficient of friction…

I guess that i’m the only one here who’s ever heard that “if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all”. Just because this isn’t a teaser to you, doesn’t mean it isn’t for someone else. More imprtantly, none of the posts quoted above show even a hint of GP spirit. Remember, for better or worse, you’re representing your team on this forum.

Before you post next time, ask yourself,“Am I contributing anything helpful here?” If not, then don’t even bother hitting that ‘submit reply’ button

repped for that man. To let people know, this is the first year we havent used Skyway wheels from the kit, so its a little bit of a deal to us. We are proud of these things. :slight_smile:

Make sure you test that thing on carpet. We had a similar design last year which was great on concrete, but found out that the thing was a bear to turn on carpet. Very grippy, very steady, very stationary. Straight-line driving was a breeze!
We ended up getting some AM omnis at the last minute.

LOL, I have said it before these wheels will make are robot look like a beast… From the physics perspective, yes surface area doesn’t affect traction a whole lot (maybe a bit) but you do have a bigger footprint on the ground so you wont be pushed as easy… for example when driving in snow it is better to have a bigger foot print on the ground to avoid a higher chance of slipping. Yet I do wonder the extent of our drive systems leaders “sanity”… lol. :smiley:

P.S. correct me if I am wrong in my analogy

sorry to do this again but in snow it is important to have a smaller footprint. you get more ground pressure. If you live in an area with snow you hardly ever see snow plow trucks with duelee’s except when they are weighted down with a large salt/sand spreader in the bed.
Imagine about 600 lbs on the surface area of a car hood (pretend its flat) and think about how hard it would be to drag across the floor, hard but not impossible. now imagine that same 600lbs on the surface area of a thumb tack, better yet a CD…how hard would that be to pull across the ground.
Hope this explains it better