pic: 6 Wheel Drive Chasis

It is a 6 wheel drive chasis. The two black wheels are omni wheels and the orange wheels are traction wheels. The center wheel is not lowered. The frame is made from 1" 6061 alluminum with 1/8" wall thickness and weighs under 20 pounds. Everything weighs around 35 pounds. There is a bearing holder acrost from the transmission to support a shaft.

1. Should the center wheel still be lowered eventhough there are 2 omni wheels?
  2. Is 1/8" walls strong enough or should it be thicker?

1/8inch wall is plenty thick for the upper structure i may even suggest 1/16th wall but only if you plan on bumpers. And as far as the omnis go i’d play with it once its done it’ll be easy to switch them out.

Why is the footprint so short? Couldn’t you move the front and back wheels out more to keep it from rocking back and forth whenever you drive and stop?

Also, I like how you pre-cheesed the top of the frame. It’s nice to start early so you aren’t scrambling at the end.

Quote: Why is the footprint so short? Couldn’t you move the front and back wheels out more to keep it from rocking back and forth whenever you drive and stop?

Yes, a longer wheel base would be better, but being a rookie this past year, my inventor skills are not the best and did not know how to change it when it was all done.

hmmm… 11 hrs. to build and test your prototype. Better hurry:D!

How are you running the chains? Are all six wheels powered, or are you just powering the center wheels with two CIMs each?

I seriously doubt it will weigh 35 lbs; I estimate between 45-50 lbs., which isn’t bad.

Nice work

One of the motors will drive the traction wheel on the end. The other motor will drive the center traction wheel and the omni wheel.

That weighed 35 pounds, but that is without chains, sprockkets, and the iproperties are set to default on the motors. 45 - 50 pounds is proably closer.