pic: Another fun Swerve Module

Another fun experiment I cadded awhile ago, includes steering sprocket adjustment system, giant needle bearing support, and cantilevered wheel thats nice and easy to change.

I’d beef a few things up if i were to do this on a robot, still not at the top of the list if we make another one.

fun exercise

1 Like

Post the one with the violated window motor…

Very interesting. Is the sprocket held in by those three screws I see acting like a clamping mechanism on the two opposite ends of the sprocket? If so, are you planning on anything if the sprocket does slip? At this point, that seems like the weak point in this design. But that could be solved by some ridges that fit into each other nicely.

Also, if you were to create this, would you use a keyed shaft, or hex? I only ask because in this render it looks like a keyed shaft.

Actually did the math on that clamping screw to disprove my architect father, and its got a safety factor of 2x on the max torque that ring will ever see before it theoretically would slip, of course a prototype would still be made.

It would be hex shaft, i just didn’t finish it out completely

118 clamps in similar fashion, just with more surface area.

Wait, 6wd swerve wasn’t good enough for you? Now you have to do a 6wd WCD swerve? :slight_smile:

Excellent.

Beautiful stuff! Its inspiring me to test my CAD skills and design something along these lines.

:O, MIND BLOWNN.

I second this notion.

Violated Window motor? I want to see this

It was a joke really, Aren and I had been debating gearing for swerves and how the module rotation can be a handicap. There was one with like a 10:1 gear UP to make it super fast. Obviously this wouldn’t work.

Kind of like the teaser that one team posted with a all-traction-wheel omni drive where the base was milled out of one solid block of aluminium with the wheels directly driven by the CIMs. :stuck_out_tongue:

Kind of like the teaser that one team posted with a all-traction-wheel omni drive where the base was milled out of one solid block of aluminium with the wheels directly driven by the CIMs. :stuck_out_tongue:

if only they had been able to design a mini-bot that fast…