pic: As suggested - six robots

Full field with six robots. Also added a bit of color.

nice, you must have an incredibly boss computer.

Actually, that’s what I was testing. My old computer died so I bought a new one. Intel i7 960, 3.2 GHz, 12 GB RAM, ATI FirePro V5800 Graphics Card.

My old computer struggled a bit with our complete Logomotion robot so I went a bit over the top on the new computer. With the full game field and 6 robots it is just a bit slow but basically performs pretty well.

I’m running PTC’s Creo Elements/Pro 5.0. Version 5 is a big improvement over Wildfire 4.0 for rendering.

Tom,

Would you be willing to email me a zip file of your robot and the field?

Joe

Sure. The field you can get from here: http://www.catalogds.com/db/service?d=first&c=browse

What format would you like the robot model in? It’s native format is for PTC software but I can generate a step file if you like.

.step would be great.

Thanks

I have the step file ready. The polycarbonite side panels came through opaque and the sponsor sticker graphics didn’t translate but the rest looks good.

I’d upload it to CD-Media but the last time I tried it didn’t work.

PM me your e-mail address and I’ll send it. I’ll use wetransfer.com to send the file.

Any other notable differences between 5.0 and Wildfire? I’ve only used Wildfire and trying to figure out whether it’s worth the upgrade.

They did make quite a few changes that I really like. For example when an assembly part fails, you don’t have to tell it to “freeze” that part and every child part for the rest of the assembly. All parts are just flagged in red and you can fix it when you want.

How do you get the sponsor stickers on parts in pro-e?

Make one part for each sticker. The part is the exact size of the sticker and has some small thickness. Then go into the appearance manager and attach a jpeg of the actual sticker to the surface of the part using the decal option.

The sticker parts can then be assembled onto the surface of the model where they belong.

Also, the jpegs need to be in the working directory to get loaded automatically when you open the model.

That’s long overdue. It was the biggest reason why the learning curve for Pro/E was so steep. (Although you eventually get used to building things in a way that mitigates the consequences of part resolution failures, when it happens, it’s always annoying.)

Incidentally, has anyone figured out how to loft the fabric around the pool noodles (e.g. using ISDX and flexible components)? I notice you either didn’t bother (totally understandable), or had some trouble with it yourself.

I tried to figure it out a few years ago, without good results. Fortunately, it’s one of those things that doesn’t usually make any difference, and is only worth it because it looks good.

We didn’t spend much time on the bumpers. No plywood, no brackets, they’re too shiny. Maybe a good pre-season project for the students in the fall.