pic: Banebots- AndyMark crab module

2f110725cadbcc32861574abb9c09cd4_l.jpg

This is not a teaser, or even something that will necessarily built I just saw that with the new planetary trannies and AM kit wheels that a crab drive might be easy this year. This is by no means a module that will be build in it’s present form, as it is just a quick idea…I just wanted to share.

Parts:
BaneBots kit tranny
AndyMark kit wheel (with tread lathed off)
AndyMark Universal hubs

That design looks great. One big problem though. When you turn the wheel you motor will be beyond the limits of the robot frame. It could get damaged pretty badly or get stuck under another robot.

Eugene, actually you don’t. All you need for a swerve drive setup is 135 degrees of travel which can be contained within the bot. Motor reversing and programming gives you everything else.
Greg its a nice combination, but here are my concerns:
Clearance within the robot is still a problem you’d have to design for a very open robot near the pods. More importantly, the banebots motor and trans seems to be a lot of extra weight hanging off to one side to be trying to swerve. Once you are in motion its not so bad but, but you still need to have a pretty hefty motor, reduction, as well as support structure for all of this to happen.
-wayne

Unless, of course, you add protection through some other means.

this was only designed to go 90 degrees…because maybe that is all we wanted :wink:

In that case you should have no problem with damaging it, so go for it

This is not a teaser, or even something that will necessarily built I just saw that with the new planetary trannies and AM kit wheels that a crab drive might be easy this year. This is by no means a module that will be build in it’s present form, as it is just a quick idea…I just wanted to share.

Please read the descriptions.

It would have a much smaller footprint if you put the gearbox and CIM motor above the wheel and sprocketed it down to the wheel.

I’d suck it up and bevel gear it…then we’d be talkin

I had a similar idea simply to use the motors and direct drive to the wheels. I wasn’t going to pivot them. Does anyone know if the Banebots gearbox is strong enough to support a 120 # robot? (with pillow blocks of course)