pic: CATAPULT!

118’s original vision for ball shooting… discarded after a weeks worth of design after reading this rule clarification. http://forums.usfirst.org/showthread.php?t=245

We decided compacting it to fit within this rule would have been too difficult. Described as a carbureted engine (carburetor can be seen as the dangling ball whacker which was only in it’s initial stage of design) the device ran two catapults at a ball/second rate with a single Dechip. Elevation controlled by catapult stopping angle, all on a turret.

Early prototypes showed a catapult to be extremely accurate and repeatable. I hope to see some teams try it.

I gave it only a 25% chance of actually working… but it would have been fun to build and do something different :slight_smile:

Are you freakin serious!!!

did you know that catapults are specifically outlawed? IIRC, no device can use a “sudden stop” to launch balls.

this still means that you can use a trebuchet because it follows through after the release of the ball. something i really wanted to do but my team wouldn’t let me because i couldn’t think of a way to reload it properly without direct human contact, let alone fast enough to be usable during comp. this however doesn’t mean that 1155 might not bring a fun toy to launch poof balls with in the courtyard at riverbank state park and hopefully nats.(that is if i can build it after ship in time for NYC)

I can’t find that rule, can you show me where to find it please?

Thanks,
Don

<S01>…An example of an unsafe design is a shooter mechanism
that has a large mass that is stopped abruptly at the end of travel and is at risk of breaking off the ROBOT
and becoming a projectile.

So you should be fine as lone as you aren’t using steel :rolleyes: . What are you using? out of curiosity. this is the first catapult robot ive seen and it looks pretty sweet.

So you should be fine as lone as you aren’t using steel . What are you using? out of curiosity. this is the first catapult robot ive seen and it looks pretty sweet.

If you read Justin’s post you’ll notice that they aren’t using this assembly at all! This was simply a prototype…it wasn’t able to satisfy the ruling that makes you have to keep your shooter mechanism inside the original footprint of the robot.

It would have been cool!

This can’t be a design of 118’s… there is far too little chain. :stuck_out_tongue:

But the twin-shooter design seems like something they’d do.

I for one, can’t wait to see the final 118-2006 robot.
I hope you guys will post a teaser of the final design.

This is about the time you finished last year, right?

-JV

I for one, can’t wait to see the final 118-2006 robot.

I’ve seen the ultra-secret shots from deep inside the Nasa think-tank…

looks good!

I think the key part of that rule may be the second half of it - at risk of breaking off and becoming a projectile. If it’s designed such that it doesn’t have that risk, then perhaps it would be just fine.

Man, I hadn’t realized how often we build a dually. It’s there, in the history. We’re obsessed with symmetry. I guess we always went by the maxim, “Why build one, when you can have two for twice the price?” Anyway, a teaser is attached:

*edit: I guess that wasn’t a teaser after all. In fact, it looks like a cartoon of a horrible monster biting a man in a loincloth while simultaneously stinging him in the eye. Hmmm… *

skorpadillo.jpg

skorpadillo.jpg

Could this mean that they can shoot into the top goal and score in a bottom goal at the same time?

So I was looking at this design, and something just screamed at me: “DESIGN SOMETHING LIKE THIS FOR THE SEASON! THROW BOTH BALLS AT ONCE!”

And then I realized it was just the Mountain Dew speaking.

You gotta lay off the Mountain Dew. Jolt is much more effective with half of the crazy idea byproduct.

BTW, nice job…2 year old threads ftw.

Actually, for energy, I choose Spike Shooter. That stuff is serious, and should not be drank by those under 120 pounds, or with any heart issues. It kicks like a mule.