pic: Cheesecake, anyone?

I believe it’s the same one that McDonald’s uses to print their food. We will be using the latest model. With regards to rules on 3D printed cheesecakes, I believe all 3D printed parts are allowed, but I know that a lot of people get yelled at by the green shirts at competition every year for bringing food into the pits :frowning: .

Interesting that you are choosing an additive method. Historically, I believe standard cheesecakes were turned on a lathe. Modern technology can use an injection molding process.

We have always just ordered cheesecakes from online then cut them with the band saw. Set up a jig to cut it properly it and you can easily get it down to perfect slices.

Does anyone have a McMaster part number for the cake?

So does the manufacture and working of cheesecake on the small scale really make sense?

I mean your competition has The Cheesecake Factory and that might make it hard to compete on costs and scale.

Why wouldn’t you do COTS?

We’ve procured locally, then cut them using a lightweight hand saw with a very small kerf, which can be procured from culinary supply shops as a “cake knife”.

[pernickety rant]And it’s a PIE! Cake doesn’t have crust and a filling! Boston Cream Pie is really a cake, but cheesecake is a PIE![/pernickety rant]

And, OBTW, the biggest flaw I found in the original rendering (ahead of lack of texture) was that the cheesecake filling was translucent rather than opaque.

Crust is typically just graham cracker crumbs and melted butter to hold it together. A good cheesecake just doesn’t need cherries, or whipped cream for that matter though. I have a habit of making cheesecakes when I get bored, so I would be highly interested in purchasing one of these cheesecake 3D printers.

Here’s a supplier.
http://www.shopfoodex.com/cheez-whiz-sharp-cheddar-cheese-snack-aerosol-p-55746.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Merchant%2BCenter&utm_campaign=Feed&gclid=Cj0KEQjwuqauBRDhnfvnxMvKy6UBEiQAmTLQu0E0zPt8uvHJVXoHaRIScd3PCfnHFr77_Uxorvy6GJMaAraW8P8HAQ

This model is great for quick assembly, but you’ll need prefabricated crust.

That’s just the refill.

And here I’ve been hand-squirting my cheez-whiz like a simpleton… Thank goodness for bored engineers!

Darn that is a really good rendering of a cheesecake.

In all seriousness, there is no technical issue preventing you from printing a cheesecake, or a pizza for that matter - but you’d still need to bake the pizza.

McD’s uses high-speed large-capacity printers, but they’ve found real wheat buns are more cost-effective.

As for the filament cartridges, Cheddar isn’t the right material for this kind of cake.

What’s scary about this thread is that it can turn into a real, serious discussion at any moment. And there are people here with the chops to actually do it. I mean, they already print chocolate and cupcake icing…

Well 3D printers can be enclosed.
Easy Bake ovens are enclosed.

I did once suggest using an incandescent light bulb as a 3D printer enclosure heater.
Turn up the wattage - or better yet - use an infrared lamp and lower it to the pizza to produce localized heating (runs to the pizza patent office).

We’re coming for you, Papa John’s!

What would be better though, this method or finding a way to heat the bed to a high enough temperature to cook the pizza? I have no experience cooking pizzas so I don’t know how they are generally cooked, but wouldn’t heating the bed make it so that it wouldn’t have to be enclosed? Also I have no idea if a 3d printer’s bed can get to a high enough temperature to cook a pizza.

Who designs a slice of cheesecake to be 7.2 pieces per whole? No one will settle for the 0.2 piece. That’s just crazy talk.

Iter-ate… one more time.

Heated beds from printed circuit boards might survive this. It would probably take several heater cartridges to get the heating even. Then again there is good old nichrome or Inconel wire.

Uhhh… the cake is cone-shaped and there are 350 degrees around the center. I cut it into seven pieces because 7 is a nice number… also America.

You need to get out more. Or at least observe more closely. Surely there is a non-chain type Pizzeria near you? Go visit and ask questions (as if you were in the pits at a regional…) Living in northern NJ would help (pizza capitol of the world, arguably).

Pizza ovens are generally at 450 to 500 degrees. They universally have stone ‘floors’ to maintain the temperature evenly and avoid the cooling effect of an uncooked pizza. So yes, one CAN make a bed that will cook a pizza, but you really want to print it first, then cook it.

ABS printers alraedy have heated beds, so you could base your bed on something like that, they go up to ~110ºC

Has anyone figured out how to print the irregularities in the cake to make it more accurate and useful? Maybe adding bubbles inside the filament would create a pattern like that

Ummm… Are we talking per capita? Because here in Becker, MN we have 4 different joints in a town of 4500; or one pizzeria per 1125 residents. And if you include the local bars and c-store, it jumps to 7; or one per 643 residents. Only one is a national chain. We love Pizza and robots here in Becker!