pic: Coaxial Swerve Drive Module with 2-speed Ball Drive and Nitrile Tread

Iso View of Pwnage Team 2451 Coaxial Swerve Drive
Highlights: 7 lbs, 3" Nitrile Tires, 2-speed Ball Drive, Absolute Encoder for steering angle, Incremental Encoder for wheel speed
4.9 feet per second actual low speed/6.01 fps theoretical
15.7 feet per second actual high speed/19.12 fps theoretical

I like the synergy between a swerve drive like this and an 8 sided frame. Maybe I’ve said that before, but that extra length and width is a nice side benefit of your other efforts. What’s the outer length and width of this frame?

What’s the weight as shown in this picture (4 swerves and the chassis).

29.625" square
We optimized for 2013 for a single large wheel shooter we ended up not using and it helped in 2014 for the large ball

38 pounds + fasteners not added to the cad file
Should be pretty accurate, all parts have correct materials.

I’ve seen teams who use swerve using their corners to hit other robots’ corners and flip them in order to defend. Do you think your octagonal frame is going to be able to still do something like that?

Is “flip” really the word you want to use, or would you like to choose another?

It doesn’t look like you have ever played at a competition with us so I don’t understand your very specific question.
Did you have a bad experience this year with a octagonal robot?
We do not condone or encourage our drivers to be aggressive.
The octagonal frame does nothing to “flip” robots that I know of.
It’s benefit is it maximizes area and wheelbase for a given perimeter.
It also rolls off another robot easier when they are trying to push you.
The question is, should a team be penalized when they build their robot with a low center of gravity and another robot that is top heavy gets flipped accidently?

I think that Henrique means to spin, more like. Hitting a corner would give the maximum lever arm.

Yes, I think he was referring more to a “spin,” rather than a flip.

Does the octagonal frame give you greater ability to spin out when being pushed? I’d imagine it does.

This really looks amazing.

With bumpers? That sounds a little low including the bumpers.

Henrique, my apologies for misinterpreting your comment. The octagonal frame is more offensive than defensive. It is for getting out of a pushing match. You are correct, It would be harder to spin another robot with the octagonal frame. Really the design comes from maximizing the area of the robot for game pieces and mechanism.

Without bumpers the weight is 38 lbs.
Since bumpers don’t count towards robot weight we set their cad files to zero pounds.