pic: Dead Ball



One of the robots at the Lake Superior regional had a little trouble on the field… From what I understand, a Spike got crushed into some other electronics by a mechanism, resulting in the entire electrical system going up in smoke. It didn’t stop the human player from tossing in the ball though! See the clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOd3mF1tvwk#t=186

And now every year from here on out they’ll cover their electronics board with 0.5" Polycarbonate ;p

It would’ve been an effective strategy in auton where it would create a smokescreen to stop hot goal detection :stuck_out_tongue:

Holy smokes! :smiley: That’s got to be the most magic smoke I’ve ever seen. How many of their parts needed to be replaced?

As crappy that situation must have been, that’s a pretty cool shot with the lighting like that.

Every electrical component needed to be replaced, they lost everything, including the wiring. The team had it back on the field in two or three matches.

One of the control systems experts showed me a picture of their wiring with all the insulation burned off. Looked absolutely nasty. I’m glad they recovered!

They had it back in two to three matches? Now that is some pit crew! Nascar should hire them! :smiley:

It just shows what 150 amps at 12 volts DC can do.:eek:

As a lesson learned, are there any pictures we can use to show what may happen when things really go wrong?

Let us all learn from this and not make the same mistake ever again or should say try not to.

To be clear, they missed 2 or 3 of their matches, not 2 or 3 total matches.

A mentor from the team posted this picture on Reddit:
http://i.imgur.com/91NyF0v.jpg

How many times have we told them to use insulated wire?? :stuck_out_tongue:

That picture is really scary.