Pic: Final 2021 Drivetrain

125 Likes

Is this a teaser? Can we get some explanation? Are the wheels to be omni in the future?

40 Likes

It looks really small. Really small…

31 Likes

No gearboxes?

33 Likes

Huh…

30 Likes

Each Falcon is about 4.3" long. Seeing as that model looks can it hold 4-5 Falcons end to end, I don’t think that thing is more than 20" long.

• CTT
29 Likes

You think that’s small? If those are falcons, that thing is pushing right up to the edge of 28" wide, actually. I’ll grant you it’s not the full 28"x38", but I’d never call that a small robot.

25 Likes

Hey comrads!

Here’s our team’s final design for our first drivetrain ever and its pretty innovative if i say so myself :smiley:

-the body is milled from a solid block of 7071 aluminum (with our sponsor’s five axis mill) to retain the maximum structural strength.
-the wheels are decagons instead of circles. NOW can we squeeze in more than tangential contact every tenth of a rotation, therefore we get more traction.
-the wheel formation allows for no “getting pushed around” and great defense. We might be the rookies, but thanks to our ingenuity, we’re not going to get bullied on the field :stuck_out_tongue:
-these four wheels are directly driven by falcons so we can zip across the field at 184 fps according to JVN Design Calculator (great tool by the way guys).
-the bot fits in a 26x26 square. its octagonal shape allows for surface area for electronics.

I know its pretty good, but what are some design tips you veteran teams might want to bestow upon us?

P.S. The manipulator is coming soon with just as much innovation as you see here. Watch out for team 364!!! :cool:

P.S.S. We would like to thank #TeamNASUH for their wisdom and guidance in designing this beastly beauty.

94 Likes

Welcome to CD, that is a pretty good first post if I have ever seen one. I thought 18.4 fps was going to be fast this year but you guys are taking this to whole different place (value).

32 Likes

-Frame milled from solid…um…wow! How long is that operation going to take, and how much does that block of aluminum cost?? :eek:
(seriously, check this, if the block is over $500 market value, you may run into trouble)

-Has the wheels/wheel formation been prototyped? I’m intrigued, yet skeptical of how well it will work. Do the corners of the wheels have low-traction material? This formation typically uses omniwheels for multi-directional motion, and I’m not sure how it will work with traction wheels.

-Again, you may want to prototype and see just how much traction you gain from decagon-shaped wheels, and whether it’s worth the bumpy ride.

-Direct drive from Falcons…That’s not quite how it works. Gear reductions add torque, and a free-spinning Falcon does not have close to enough to move a robot effectively. You may want to look at JVN’s calculator again, and see how much torque it will take for a 6-8" wheel to effectively acccelerate 150-ish pounds of robot. The fastest I’ve ever heard of a robot moving is 18-ish feet per second. Also, consider the drivers. Do they have the reaction time to effectively control a speedy robot? Might slowing it down, in some ways, speed you up?

31 Likes

Wow…just…wow. I thought fast would be good but, at those speeds you should be able to use the Lorentz Contraction to get away with a larger manipulator into the 84" cylinder (the refs will never be able to tell!). This is sheer brilliance! Have you considered the possibility of using the Picard Maneuver in match play?

30 Likes

woah, that means it will cross the field in 1/3 of a second, if you can effectively make a frame like that i like it. also without gearboxes you will be pushed around quite a bit.

9 Likes

actually this would work, you just need to control it with a melty brain.

http://www.spambutcher.com/meltyb.html

8 Likes

9 Likes

Now that the chain is broken, can we talk about the Falcon in the radio?

3 Likes

we dont have to

17 Likes

Unfortunately, we cannot.

3 Likes

The wheels in the frame are one thing, but the radio-Falcon shows the space-saving optimizations that come after refining 10 years of perfect design.

2 Likes

54 Likes

Looks like your powering your falcons with talons. Good call, your PID will get 2x as accurate.

48 Likes