pic: FIRST Overdrive Score Distribution

Score distribution for the 2008 game, FIRST Overdrive, on the opening day of regionals 2/29/08.

Ok, I know this may sound dumb, so i’ll take one for the team.
Can you explain what this chart means? I’m having trouble putting 2 and 2 together. Thanks!

basically it shows the number of scores that have occurred between a said range… i.e. there are 26 scores today that were between 0 and 10.

I think the confusion comes from it being a bit mislabeled (or at least confusingly labeled). It looks like a normal old normal probability density curve with the Y axis being the number of matches in a range of scores, such as 94 matches being between 40 and 49.

And the whole “bins” label doesn’t help with the confusion. I get the general gist of it though, great work.

1519’s scouts tell me that the average score per team per match at BAE is 14.70

Hmm… thats really low. I guess that’s to be expected of a week 1 regional. Try asking your scouts what the median of the data is. I suspect that that will a more accurate idea of the what the matches really are like.

Clearly! (I guess that’s a pun - sort of.) “Match Score” is apparently really the x-axis, not the y-axis (as labelled), while the y-axis is really what they call the frequency (which is tabulated to the right of the word “score”).

That being said, it’s a very interesting plot, so thanks, Joe Ross! But what’s the “poly” stuff all about?

I had to check to make sure it wasn’t from 2003.

Interesting though once you figure it out, it’s right about where a lot of people said it would be.

where was the 110 + scored?

WC

Thats probably close to correct. The date is slightly skew (shewed left to be specific), so the mean will be higher than the median.

That’s per TEAM per match. So the average score is 14.7*3=44.1 which is certainly higher than I expected.

I don’t see that score registered anywhere either.

I thought the top score was 104, which would put it in the 100 bin. (assuming the 0 bin is 0-10 points)

Hmm, is the first bin 0 (exactly), and the second bin is 1-10? That would explain it - but the OP should revise the chart to indicate it properly.

Overall or winning alliance score distribution?

Great work!

That is correct.

Overall score.

“Poly” --> Default abbreviation in MS Excel for a polynomial function, as opposed to other trendline options including linear, logarithmic, and exponential functions. This looks like a 4th or 5th order function, which in this case is acting as an approximation for a bell curve.

if these scores are scores before penalties team 121, 40, and i forgot who else sorry had a score of 90 but 110 before penalties…