pic: FRC 1002's Shop

just kidding
its not our shop, although we are in the process of construction right now
and will be getting a much larger area for a shop [90,000 sq ft. i think]
this is actually
what the remnants of our wood shed was after they tore it down

90,000 square feet? are you sure it’s not 9,000?

That’s huge… I wish I had a shop that big…

I think they are dreaming big with their new shop.
Big enough to host their own regional. :ahh:

Wetzel

Even 9,000 is still several times the 116 shop…

9000 sounds a little more belivable unless its not all going to be yours.
I wish our shop were bigger than a classroom…and we had some real tools and maybe a mill and a lathe…

9000 is still HUGE compared to us. I think we estimated ours a a little over 100 sq feet. (we have a wedge in the science wing hall way)

I can’t wait to be able to post pictures of our new building…it’s an old warehouse for a local company that’s owned by the county, and since it’s just sitting empty we’ve convinced them to let us use it. I’ve heard it’s huge although none of the students have seen the inside; they said it’s “not ready yet.”

for clarification i’m really not sure just how much room we’re getting
i just remember it having a nine
and being a lot [more than we have now]

Just think about it this way… 90,000 square feet is a football long by a football field wide.

90,000 square feet is a football long

Wow…that must be a really big football!

Yeah. I don’t think it’s 90,000 or 9,000 square feet.

90,000 square feet would be about 18 square miles for a machine shop. The last thing I want to do is have to take a shuttle from the mill to the lathe.

90 square feet seems like the most reasonable. Ours is maybe 50, or something.

90,000 is NOT 18 square miles!!! :ahh: It’s only 300 by 300 feet (which is still huge, a football field either way).
90 sq. feet is only about 9.5x9.5 feet, which is hardly big enough to fit a few people, and no tools.
900 or 9,000 are both plausable numbers.

3 feet make one yard.
5.5 yards make one rod.
Four rods make one chain.
Ten chains make one furlong.
Eight furlongs make one mile.

So one mile is 3 x 5.5 x 4 x 10 x 8 = 5280 feet.

One acre is ten square chains. So one acre = 10 x (3 x 5.5 x 4)^2 = 43,560 square feet.

90,000 square feet is therefore a little more than two acres (2.06612).

One square mile is 5280^2 = 27,878,400 square feet, so 90,000 square feet is about 0.00323 square miles. No where near 18.

<edit:add> 18 square miles is also half a township (see Land Ordinance of 1785); a township contains 36 square miles, and each square mile contains 640 acres, so half a township is 18 x 640 = 11,520 acres </edit>

And as Sean also pointed out, a 90,000 sq.ft. building is huge. My company could put a good size motor factory in that much space, and use it to make millions of motors per year.

Bill Beatty could probably build a robot factory in less than half of that space and use it to produce enough Beast-clones to sell one to each FRC team, on four weeks lead time. If he wanted to, which certainly hope he doesn’t. :eek:

9000 sq.ft. is a more realistic size for a robot shop.

Bill Beatty could probably build a robot factory in less than half of that space and use it to produce enough Beast-clones to sell one to each FRC team, on four weeks lead time. If he wanted to, which certainly hope he doesn’t.

Where do I buy one?

If its a warehouse the size could make sense. Its just a big warehouse. 90,000 is like a large grocery store size. Killer games of robot hide and go seek!

Sucks about the fire but good luck to you and your new build space hope to get to see some pictures.

wow guys. leave some room on the planet for other teams.

i wish my team had a room…at all.

we’re assigned a new room every so often. we’re nomads. it’s funny & sad at the same time.

OH right…

I complete forgot about the fact that they are square feet.

300 x 300 is still pretty big.

ok ok
it’s probably 9000
my bad

so that would mean its not too bad of a size
cool

[90,000 sq ft would have been so much cooler though]

PWNed !!:cool: :smiley:

Sounds sweet. This year we have half a woodshop. Next year we hope to increase out workspace. I hope :smiley:

Okay guys, sorry. I would have corrected this if I saw it like 3 months ago. but no, it is not 9000, it is not even close to that. It is 900 square miles… but no really, 900 square feet. it is pretty cool. We are writing a grant to have new machines put into it and stuff so it should be nice. But not 9000 square feet. I would not know what to do with that…
In short, Doug is wrong.