pic: FRC 2949 PWNAGE Battery Cart

FRC Team 2949 PWNAGE would like to present its new battery cart. Designed in the summer/fall of 2011, we just finished building it right at the end of January. It currently holds 12 batteries and has 2 3-Bank Chargers (sold by Andymark) and 3 1 Bank chargers. When the team raises more money, we will be switching out the 3 1-Bank chargers for 2 more 3-Bank Chargers. The Framing is made out of 80/20, and the sides are made out of ABS Plastic Sheets, also sold by Andymark. The lid, base plate, and back plate are all sheet metal. The wheels are spare wheels we had from a Lista Workbench. There are 2 Fixed wheels and 2 caster wheels. All of the wheels are Colson 6" wheels. Some features:

-The charger clips are fixed on a plate in the middle that allows for plugging in batteries easily.
-The middle section behind the plate allows room for the wiring, making it easier to organize and also allows room for a power-strip. An opening in the top allows for the power-strip cord to come out.
-The lid is held on with 4 thumbscrews. When the lid is taken off and the cart stood upright, the lid can be attached the same way on the back, covering the wheels. This allows for a smaller footprint in the pits.
-The handle sits in slots at the end of the cart. It is held in the slots with 2 pins. It can be taken out and stored inside the lid when the cart is upright.
-Decals (Team number, name, and logo) will be added soon.

We will be using this at all future events, including KC Regional and the Midwest Regional.

Any Comments or questions are greatly appreciated!

Good luck this season!

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/401289_349870111699047_109248172427910_1345287_1427409070_n.jpg

Battery cart with the lid and handle in place. Lid attaches to the cart frame with 4 thumb screws for easy removal. When the lid is taken off and the cart is standing up, the lid can be attached on the backside over the wheels and re-attach with the same 4 thumb screws.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/417195_349869515032440_109248172427910_1345282_82719545_n.jpg

Battery cart lying down with lid and handle seperated (top right). The handle when taken off can be stored inside the lid, sitting on 2 pieces of 80/20 extrusion that is on the lid frame.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/403045_349869605032431_109248172427910_1345283_582338502_n.jpg

Battery cart standing up (Pit position) with the lid and handle on the left. Spill kit will be kept right under the 3-Bank chargers and DeWalt/Drill chargers will be somewhere (TBD).

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/409181_349869898365735_109248172427910_1345285_1980173731_n.jpg

Underside/Backside of the battery Cart on left. 2 Casters with brakes on the top, 2 Fixed wheels on the bottom. All wheels are 6" Colson wheels taken off of a Lista work-table.

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/394136_349869778365747_109248172427910_1345284_1058991591_n.jpg

Battery wire clip in hand, charger clip attached to plate. All charger clips are mounted to the cart allowing for easy plug in. All of the batteries sit a ~10 degree slant while in the slots.

Sorry for the long post, but figured I would get all of the information about it out now rather then later.

Let us know what you think!

-Nick

Wow, that’s a really nice cart and looks very efficient.

Well, I’m jealous. The only issue I can see is that the cover and the casters will take up valuable pit space. Are there any plans to use that void for anything to reclaim the lost space?

I can only begin to express my envy about your energy supply strategy. This is a gem for sure. I think the 80/20 people will join the rest of us in our desire to see construction details. There was a famous supercomputer, the Cray, that had its power supplies arranged radially around the perimeter of the CPU. There were seat cushions on them. I mention this as it is quite possibly the only way you could improve this cart. Oh we could go radical with a Droid interface that can report the status of each battery and turn on an indicator light next to the battery suggested for use in the next match. While you’re at it a Wi-Fi hotspot? Home page to NASA select or the Blue Alliance on a built-in screen?

Siiiiigh…:slight_smile:

The only thing I noticed was that the pins holding the handle in place stick out the back. (I think) If they do, it would be an exposure to the handler’s shins that could be reduced by making the pin holes go side-to-side in the bracket holes. I know, big deal, right? I’m going to color this whole post green for envy. thanks for sharing.

That is one intense battery cart…I think all that could make this better would be a touch screen interface or a projector for matches from other regionals! Very nice :slight_smile: Now we gotta get started on ours…

I’m scared to see what happens if you engineer a robot as well as the cart is engineered. Well done. Now I’m eagerly awaiting a release of the 2012 robot.

Well, I’m jealous. The only issue I can see is that the cover and the casters will take up valuable pit space. Are there any plans to use that void for anything to reclaim the lost space?

Well, since the lid can cover the wheels, the lid is taking up space in the pit that the wheels would already be taking up space in. The wheels stick out past the frame ~7", so its not taking up too much extra space in the pit. We decided it was worth having it in this orientation.

I can only begin to express my envy about your energy supply strategy. This is a gem for sure. I think the 80/20 people will join the rest of us in our desire to see construction details.

Thanks! We are planning on sending them pictures of the project, and hopefully they will include it in one of their example booklets.

There was a famous supercomputer, the Cray, that had its power supplies arranged radially around the perimeter of the CPU. There were seat cushions on them. I mention this as it is quite possibly the only way you could improve this cart.

hahaha, we actually origionally were thinking about adding seat cushions to it. We were going to have it perpanantly laying down, and have the lid open like a chest, with the top of the lid doubling as seats, since people in the pit are always looking for a place to sit (especially the mentors :stuck_out_tongue: ). Unfortunately we went in another direction.

Oh we could go radical with a Droid interface that can report the status of each battery and turn on an indicator light next to the battery suggested for use in the next match. While you’re at it a Wi-Fi hotspot? Home page to NASA select or the Blue Alliance on a built-in screen?

Well, I forgot to mention we have a Battery Beak that will also always be on the cart. Hopefully some of these things will be part of our new display case/cart/thing that we will hopefully design and build in the near future…

The only thing I noticed was that the pins holding the handle in place stick out the back. (I think) If they do, it would be an exposure to the handler’s shins that could be reduced by making the pin holes go side-to-side in the bracket holes. I know, big deal, right? I’m going to color this whole post green for envy. thanks for sharing.

They stick out about 3/8". I believe origionally they were going sideways but somewhere along the way they got switched to where they are now. Not sure why, but I actually tried hitting my leg against the pins, brackets, etc. sticking out of it and it didn’t seem to bad. If we think its too much, we can always just drill the holes in sideways.

That is one intense battery cart…I think all that could make this better would be a touch screen interface or a projector for matches from other regionals! Very nice Now we gotta get started on ours…

There are plans in the works for the future to have a possible touch-screen setup for our display area, and have a projector mounted on our pit frame that will project on the opposite wall. We’ll see what happens…

I’m scared to see what happens if you engineer a robot as well as the cart is engineered. Well done. Now I’m eagerly awaiting a release of the 2012 robot.

Thanks! The robot will be released on CD with pictures and video right before the KC Regional (week 1).

-Nick

The more I read about this, the more time I’m going to spend over at your pit at GKC taking a look at this beauty.

Any chance we could get some dimensions or the plans that you used for this charging station? We just want to have something to base our designs off of.

Wow! A really slick charging station! Someone on my team is working on one. Ours, though looks like it was build by a 5 year old our of the kit of parts…

We can post a lot more information after this weekend. We’re pretty busy preparing for GKC, but next week we’ll have time to provide some more information. Thanks for your interest!

-Nick