pic: FRC 624 2014 Robot

FRC 624’s 2014 robot.

Congrats on winning Alamo. How does your shooter work?

It is a catapult powered by 2 large pneumatic pistons. We pin the catapult with a small piston and pressure the main ones to two different pressures using two regulators depending on the power we need. Once the pistons are pressured up, we un pin the catapult and it launches the ball at full pressure.

That’s awesome. We had prototyped something similar early in the season and the sheer force that the cylinders ended up extending with was scary.

Thanks, and yes it can be scary sometimes, we have a clamp that locks the catapult down to the frame of the bot to prevent it from unexpected dry firing.

This robot is the real deal. If it is not the top 1 or 2 in the FRC top 25 after week 1, then I will be shocked.

Your auton is awesome and your robot is very fun to watch during teleop. Great job guys. I have seen your team get better and better since 2010 (I really liked that robot as well).

Keep it up. Again, great robot.

Paul

I agree!

624 and 1477 have both definitely shown that there is more than 2 powerhouse Texas teams…

Thank you very much. Our team has worked so hard this year and we are very excited about what we have been able to do. We hope to be able to continue improving throughout this year and in future years.

Again, thank you very much for the compliment.

Paul

Thank you for your kind words. This is my 10th year with 624 and I am truly humbled by what we have achieved, both on the field and being recognized for our first Chairman’s’ Award. Our steady improvement beginning in 2009 has been though much hard work, but also through the inspiration and generosity we have received from other FRC teams.

We know that teams will build on what has been learned from Week 1 and we will have to adapt in order to continue to be successful. We are excited about competing in Orlando and Lone Star and we wish all teams best of luck.

P.S. - I have special affinity for the 2010 robot as it was built in my garage!

I remember seeing your team and being very impressed last year when I made the trip to Volunteer at Peachtree in 2013 with (FIRST Noble Team) 4452.

Can’t wait to check out your new machine at Orlando with my rookie team 4901 & of course 1772.

I am very impressed with your Week 1 performance. Your robot is inspiring many of the improvements I am pushing my own team to pursue before we hit the field.

Congratulations on another amazing robot and I am looking forward to seeing it on the field again in the future.