Now that we’ve collected useful data about the performance of each subsystem and incorporated it into the CAD model driving our robot design, we are able to begin mocking up and testing them in a more “real-world” way.
This picture shows how things looked at the end of the night on Sun., Feb 3, 2013. The collection and storage systems are awaiting some parts from McMaster-Carr, but we were able to assemble and test the shooter in the meantime.
The roller has about 22 wheels on it – so about $50 worth of wheels. I’m happy to spend a bit of money to save time in the shop and this solution was easier than making a roller of our own. We didn’t try anything else – this worked well from the start.
The green wheels are driven by an RS550 through a 3:1 Versaplanetary gearbox; the orange, a BAG motor through a 1:1 gearbox. The range isn’t as good as I’d like to see, but it is good enough for our strategy. It is effective between 15’ and 20’. We didn’t test a shooter without some kind of flat surface as its base. The flat sheet – delrin, in this case – is something we can easily laser cut in our shop. Anything involving extrusion is doable but becomes more of a headache, so I avoid it where I can. It may be difficult to see because we prototyped in polycarbonate rather than delrin, but the entire structure is assembled with a slot and tab system that is reinforced in a few spots by extrusion.
Thanks! It’s probably not as simple as it can be – there’s a lot still missing – but it’s MUCH simpler than where we started a few weeks ago.
Actually, that’s just perspective playing a bit of a trick on you. The assembly you’re seeing (with the wheel on the opposite side) is actually our prototype shooter. We removed one its motors to put on the prototype robot since I didn’t order enough 3:1 gear kits from Vex.