pic: GBX-162, Realistic Swerve

Holy cow, this is amazing news! We’re definitely very interested, having done swerve back in 2009 (as 2272), and the past offseason.

I agree that the AM swerve is not ideal for most of those reasons, and I am looking forward to seeing the 1323/WCP swerve module! However we were able to get decent drive speed control by adding a CIMcoder to the drive motors. Yes, it isn’t perfect since it’s on the input to the gear reduction and not the output, but it is an option.

FTFY

Is this this significantly different from the stock AM CIMCoder?
We used the stock version for the first time this year in a 3-mini-CIM drive (WCP SS), and had our motor bolts back off and the motors loosen up. No issues on the mini-CIMs without the CIMcoder.

I have to wonder if the layer of plastic is reducing the preload available from the bolts, same way the versaplanetary encoder stage weakens those gearboxes. Before I use them again, I want to add a metal stand-off around each of the mounting bolt holes…

Munchskull’s design uses the robust AMT-102 encoders, while I’ve had nothing but issues with the AM Cimcoder. Tightening the CIM with the CIMcoder breaks them permanently. We wasted a lot of time last year with them, but no longer.
Plus, the AMTS have latching headers. I’m a big fan of that. AMTs have a lot more precision than the CIMcoders too, with an index pulse, and at about half the price.
The VP encoder stages actually do come with metal standoffs, but they’re easy to lose.

Why is it not ideal to have the encoder on the input side? Wouldn’t it be better to have encoders on the input side so that you get more increments per rotation, therefore higher precision?

Yes and no. You also have backlash through however many gear reductions you happen to have, so those extra sig figs may not be worth it after all. With the AM swerve modules I was able to turn the wheels a decent amount (1/16 turn maybe) without changing encoder values. Will it actually matter? Probably not. Such things are more important on something like an elevator or arm where encoder precision is a lot more important. Usually, if you are off by an inch, especially in Power Up, it’s not too bad.

Emphasis mine

I beg to differ. As the programmer for our team, encoder precision for the rotation of swerve modules can make or break your autonomous. If one module is off by a little bit it can cause the whole robot to rotate and/or drift during robot operation.