pic: How our shift happens...

Members of Dawgma 1712 would like to present to you the newest weapon in our VEX bot arsenal, the VEX “Hyperdrive” shifter system!

The VEX “Hyperdrive” Shifter, VHS for short, has two ratios. The ludicrous speed featuring a 1:3 ratio and Sand-Crawler speed utilizing a 3:1 gear ratio.

We will be unveiling this beast of a drive at the Rah Cha Cha Ruckus event.

Comments are appreciated!

That’s pretty sick. Nice job. “ludicrous speed” lmao

I like! I imagine Vex become very very competitive this season.

Thats awsome Chuck, good job 1712.

Nice! :smiley:
Looks pretty slick.
It’s a shame FIRST is going away from vex…

I think I let teams use too many motors:ahh:

also I feel that I just found the drive for my robot at the rachacha :stuck_out_tongue: j/k

How long does it take to shift?

I don’t have an exact time, but not that long I would say… The spacing between gears is roughly 1/32", so once it’s out of one gear, it’s already engaging the other.

I assume that’s slightly exaggerated, and it doesn’t actually engage both gears at the same time?

Wow… nice shifter… is that a airplne servo up top or a motor? Seems to be a lot of gear reduction for the gear-reduction-changer.

Wow… Ludicrous Speed… I feel like watching Spaceballs now… :]

-q

It’s another motor on top. The reasoning for the extra reduction is because just driving the worm gear off the motor wasn’t a fast enough shift for us, but with the 1:3 reduction before the worm reduction our shift is much nicer.

On a side note, brownie points if anyone can get the sand-crawler reference…:smiley:

-Chuck

Let me see if I can get a better pic of the spacing for you… they both don’t engage at the same time, but the time from one gear to the next is very short.

I’m assuming you’re referring to the incredibly slow Jawa sand-crawlers from Star Wars?

illegal.

Care to elaborate on that? :confused:

haha, i would have thought that chuck would have said that first.

it’s better then my 2 speed trans design. so therefore it’s illegal. :stuck_out_tongue:

Indeed!

Unfortunately, we don’t have droid transport on the inside! :stuck_out_tongue:

Favorited! It’s a beauty. quite compact. Curiosity: how long have you been working on this project?

Honestly, from start to finish, about 5 days… came up with the idea, thought of ways to accomplish it, designed it…those took about 4 days, then built in one day. Works better than we thought.

Any chance for a video?