pic: Jabba's latest creation

For simple power take-off from a Globe motor, Jabba the Hutt has prototyped a few sprockets from 1/8" thick hot-rolled steel plate. He used sprocket profiles created with Machinist Mate (http://www.wadeproco.com/), then added the double-d shaft hole and assembly screw holes in Pro/E. Then he exported a dxf file, which was used to CAM the parts for cutting on a laser table. The laser cut sprockets were then tapped in four places for 6-32 screws, which attach hub plates cut from the same stock. Finally he used a lathe to chamfer the teeth on each side, and deburred the edges with a small file. The finished sprocket slides onto the Globe shaft, where it is retained axially between a stack of washers behind it and a 1/4-20 nut on the outboard side. (It turns out the short stub on the end of the Globe shaft is already the right size for cutting 1/4-20 threads with a standard die.)

Weight of the assembled sprocket, with two hub plates for 3/8" overall thickness, is 0.136 lb. This could be reduced to a little under 0.1 lb., by putting 5/16" holes in four places between the screws.

Jabba is a handy little guy to have around!

Great Job, Those look amazing!

I wish we had a Jabba…

JABBA: ICHI BEC LO SLOCK JOGAWE MENKOR!

SUBTITLES: NEW PARTS FOR MY SANDBARDGE PILOT DROID

well i hafta say those are nice, and adding the jabba made it better!

SANDBARDGE PILOT DROID

and btw: the sandbarge is usually an autopilot, when it isn’t though it is driven by organisms because droids don’t have reflexes.