pic: Latest on wood-coast chassis

The wood-coast chassis is now a rolling demo bot. It drives well, seems to be durable and has a rotating turrent which fires 12" long sections of swimming noodles as fast as you can pull the trigger. Great for indoor demos around small children.

Wow… that’s like a super awesome nerf gun on steroids…

How far do those pool noodles go?

about 30 feet

haha, thats really cool. Are the noodles fed by pnumatics? yall will sure be ready for a pool noodle game this year :smiley:

This is cool! What type of gear are you using on the outside perimeter of the turret? Can I see a closer picture of that part?

it is the flywheel from a Chevy pick up driven by a window motor

By the way. The bare chassis is red oak and weighs in at 7 pounds 6 ounces. It is six wheel drive.

How is the wood holding up under usage. Have you tested its strength in impacts with other things such as robots and walls? Also how are the bearing holes holding up? Have they started to enlarge?

Is it bare oak or did you guys make a composite of some sort? Either way, looks great.

Is it really the same pitch? Thats very resourceful. How much does it way? Most flywheels aren’t light…

Pneumatics were not powerful enough and we found that the time it took to regain the compressed air that was lost was not fast enough. There are wheels midway up on the barrel that provide the propulsion. The pneumatics just provide the trigger to push the noodles forward into the spinning wheels.

it might be a flex plate from an automatic, it holds the ring gear and is sheet metal rather than a heavy flywheel from a manual transmission set-up.
mike d

I love the foam dart shooter–a great idea for a demo bot! :cool:

I love shooting small children with pool noodles.

Story time!
assigned to create a demo robot by our coach, we decided to make an awesome pool noodle shooter. Due to grade deadlines, we had to abandon certain features such as an auto feeding magazine that could store more pool noodles, a tilt, and full 360 degree rotation capabilities. these may be added on by later classes of LASA Robotics seniors, and Twiggy, and its fantastic weapon (project racecar), will continue to evolve into a fantastic demo robot!
However, that dosen’t make it the most awesome thing ever!!!:smiley: the gravity fed hopper, pnumatic firing pin, and flywheels make for an impressive rapid fire.This thing makes a tremendous noise when spinning, and loves to shred pool noddles who don’t behave!
The flywheels are actually zip tied to the aluminum Andy mark hubs, which in turn are JB welded to the output pinions of the bosh drill motors. true story.

As for the chassis and drive train, dewalt drills (including their original motors) power each side. This thing is pretty hefty, able to power it’s way over dirt humps, up handicap ramps, through stacks of plastic crates, and can certainly try to bash its way though walls unharmed. I even managed to hop a curb with it.
hope yall enjoyed our project! we are really proud of it!

You should be proud of this one. This is a really cool idea for a demo robot. I was just trying to think of a good demo robot for out team to work on and this looks like a great idea. What size tube do you use for your barrel? And what type of material is it made of. I also love the turret, but i’m not exactly sure how it works. Do you have better pictures of the turret or a drawing? Congratulation on the awesome robot and good luck this year.

Aaron

Very nice! Did you have any bad experiences cutting the Red Oak? Also, what type of wood glue did you use? I know in the longboarding world, we love Titebond 3, but who knows what you folks used. That’s really cool to see teams going for alternate frame materials… Bet you could swing some kind of award for that (A more “green” drivetrain)!

Thanks,
Cutting the red oak is simple. Just a sharp carbide tipped blade and a table sawand a sharp chissel. The joints are mortise & tennon with some assembly techniques used in boat building. For glue I used gorilla glue because I wanted to see how it held up (pretty good so far), though plain carpenters glue in a good joint would be more than sufficient.

So based off of this chassis, if you decided you wanted to use a west-coast style drivetrain would you make it out of wood or would you stick with aluminum? Have you thought about laying one layer of fiberglass on it as well?

That will be a team decision.