pic: My Physics II Robot

My physics II class is taught by a teacher who was a mentor of the HOT Team in its first few years. Now, he has a mini robot competition within his classes. This is 'Box-out 2.0' before getting knocked out the tournament rounds.

What did the robot do?

Field:
The game is played on the classroom floor, with barriers that make the field size about 10’ by 8’ or so. In the center, there is a row of goals. The two side goals are for scoring golf wiffle balls and 4’ diameter foam balls; the goals are 12" tall and 3" in diameter. There are 20 small balls (golf-wiffle) and 1 red and 1 blue large ball.

Scoring:
Each small ball is worth 1 point in or within the imaginary cylinder, the same diameter as the goal, which extends above the goal to infinity. Your team’s color large ball in scoring position of your team’s goal is worth 75 points. However, your opponent’s large ball is worth 150 points in scoring position over your goal.
The center goal is to score toroids on. Each toroid of your color is a 5x multiplier if it is on or above toroid goal. There is 1 black toroid that is a 10x multiplier as well.
http://pcpat67.googlepages.com/DSC05198_small.jpg

My team’s strategy was to scoop up the balls, then park over our goal with them in scoring position over our goal. However, due to cheap drills that we bought for our drive (the clutches broke and constantly engaged), we placed 5th out of 6th in the tournament.
http://pcpat67.googlepages.com/DSC05148_small.jpg

Y’know I find that this robot reminds me quite a bit of 510’s at VCU this year, the ball thingy looked quite similar. (From what I remember)

Hmm…

Looks a lot like our HALF competition.

Mike C.

What was the budget for each machine, and what did you guys use to control them?

The budget was $300 for all materials. We spent probably half of that on what was on the version of our robot that you see in the picture. We had few design iterations. We controlled ours through a tether with the drill handles as the controls. To operate the arm, we connected the Fisher Price motor to a 7.2v drill handle and battery.

Two of the robots were completely radio control, using cheap, hobby controllers. Even though the controllers where cheap, that didn’t leave much room in their budget for much else.

I see Mr. Sweirkos!!!

How did your team do Pat? I never asked…

Out of six teams, my team, The Renegade Robots, placed 4th in the seeding rounds and 5th in the tournament.

That’s really cool Pat. Is the funding provided by the students or is there a sponsor of some sort? That looks like a really awesome program, I’m going to have to pass this on to a few people cause that just seems so cool.

BTW Pat, check out today’s A section of the Milford Times. It has the competition, you and your soapbox input on FIRST. I’ll scan it later for the rest of y’all.

Our teacher gets a grant each year that gives each group $75, another $75 can come from the group’s pocket, and the remaining $150 can come from sponsors. My group’s sponsorship was from the GM Proving grounds :stuck_out_tongue: imagine that… Although we didn’t receive actual monetary sponsorship, we received sponsorship in the form of old FIRST materials with a value of probably $100.

No pictures, but here’s the article:
http://www.hometownlife.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060601/NEWS11/606010833/1028

Ah, drills & motors. Brings back old memories of FIRST :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks pretty sweet, WHAT, no A&M Supershifters?