pic: New toy, help.

The big red button surely must be what turns it on, right?::rtm::

Sweet! 11 is getting one this summer as well!

Have fun with it :slight_smile:

I want one! Lucky :smiley:

Good luck with it!

Nice. We have a TM-1 (didn’t have enough for the TM-1P) and we’ve been able to do so much more in house. It’s quite nice.

Who’s gonna come over and teach us how to use it?

G-Code isn’t that difficult to learn. Have fun with this thing, looking forward to see what impact it has on your robots.

A huge impact! So do not drop it on the robots :smiley:
Operational costs go through the roof when the machines hit the deck.

Isn’t that what you guys pay Jim Hanson the big bucks for?

hey wally trade in 3 out of your 4 cnc/mills and get one lol I’m sure Spiece wont mind lol!!!

What are you talking about? We have 3 mills, one of which is our only CNC. You may have mistaken that for our 4 lathes, but none are CNC.

Have fun with all the aluminum shavings these things produce. I’ve seen barrels of shavings at ASU.

I hate to say it but in my opinion, there is a big issue with your purchase of this mill. It seems they got the delivery address wrong. :smiley:

Anyhow, we have about a year and 1500 parts on our Mini Mill. Let me know if there’s any questions you have on tooling or procedures or programming or anything you need help with. I’ve pretty much got my setup all figured out.

One thing I’ll say upfront is I recommend Trim brand coolant. I’ve had Trim C350 in the machine since new and I’ve been happy with it. I run a cheapo fountain pump in it to circulate it all the time.

Also, for endmills, Lakeshore Carbide has some nice 3-flute ones and for holders, Maritool is where I’d go.

Haas has the best control documentation of anyone in the business. Read the entire manual-it’s actually super useful as it contains tons of example programs for many g-codes, work coordinate systems, etc.

I would get comfortable with writing some basic programs by hand to lay out hole patterns, drill/tap holes, and maybe some simple milling toolpaths like a circle, square, etc just so you can recognize and understand how all the G/M codes are being used by your CAM program. I took two courses on purely hand programming before learning CAM software. Even though I never code by hand other than quickly facing a part or drilling a hole, it’s invaluable to know exactly what your CAM software is doing. I think it’s much harder to start working with CAM and trying to go backwards and decipher what the program is doing as you go.

Congratulations! I agree with Cory, Haas documentation is unparalleled. However, G-Code is pretty tedious to write for complex parts. Make sure you have a nice CAD-CAM workflow, it will save you lots of time and frustration.

Sweet looking toy! This just showed up on your doorstep? :slight_smile:

Having seen Cory in action and what he can do with his magic box, I’d wholeheartedly believe anything he tells you to do! :smiley:

You, too, can make magic stuff!

I too have seen Cory in action with his magic box. It’s amazing what he can do with it.

Sam,

I’d really read this if you haven’t already:

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109806&highlight=haas+tm

Cory’s first couple of posts are extremely helpful!

-RC

I can help you load it into our trailer.

If you have any specific questions on CNC in general, or the Haas control, feel free to PM me, I’m quite familiar with both.

As for general learning, it just so happens that 1306 has been running some summer classes for our students, and I taught at crash course in CNC. All my powerpoints, and my speakers notes (basically a script) can be found towards the right side of the google doc here. Make sure to read those speaker’s notes under each slide, the slides won’t make much sense without them.

This class was tailored towards our machine in particular, which is a lower-end machine with some weird quirks, so you can ignore those parts of the presentation.