pic: Newbie learning to operate a lathe

One of Rosie’s freshmen learning how to operate a lathe.

What sort of tutorial do you have him running?

to my eye it looks like you just have him running a few passes and I would assume at different set depths every time on a piece of scrap?

Nice lathe!

Tutorial is “on the job” training.

Actually that is “flight hardware.” One of the spacers for our drive train. There is a digital readout behind his head.

And that’s the small lathe at our sponsors shop.

Oh alright. I like what i hear. Who is your sponsor? If that’s there small lathe, their larger ones must be quite something.

G & L Tool.

That’s the smaller of the two manual lathes. The 2 CNC lathes are quite a bit larger. It’s great to have generous sponsors that “get it”. :smiley:

Not only do they get it they aren’t scared to teach the kids how to use the machines and all the liability involved :slight_smile:

I have 3 hardinge lathes at my shop just like that one perfect to teach on

Thats what really counts. WE just have one small lathe and small mill in our shop. IN the process of getting a couple bridgeports and a full scale manual lathe. Hears hoping knock on wood. It’s always good when a majority of the students are competent with these machines.

Not that I am bragging…but here goes anyway.

I cannot thank G & L Tool enough for their participation on Rosie. We have access to their entire shop, they donated a 3 axis cnc milling machine 2 years ago to Agawam HS, have arranged outside resources to help us make Rosie pretty (a local plating shop), provided raw material, (can you say titanium axles?), and kick in a few bucks every time we do a World Famous Ziti Dinner.

G & L co-owners Bob and Dave --you are the best!:smiley:

Ok I’m officially jealous. you had me at titanium . :

Pretty much the same with us, but we were lucky enough to get our hands on a nice Bridgeport mill two years back. Still runs like a top. The lathe, on the other hand, needs some work… Its about half the size of the one in the picture and wobbles like crazy. Needless to say, we do what we can on the mill.

Ok I’m officially jealous. you had me at titanium . :[/quote]

He had me at “ziti dinner” :smiley:

-dave

Yes dinner is always appreciated.

1771 was lucky enough this summer for Gwinnett County schools to buy us a 12 by 36 grizzly lathe. I just learned how to use it the other day and i’ve made 8 of our 32 drivetrain spacers so far.

What lathe is that in the picture?

Thanking your sponsors is never bragging :

I got my lathe training as an on-the-spot-as-needed thing too. Just be sure that he knows to ask questions if something seems wobbly or just wrong, because lathes are rather picky, and it’s often hard to diagnose a problem when you’re just starting out.

I’d list off the machinery that we’re lucky enough to have, but I’m not sure about proper types and terminology and everything. We have one small mill, two giant ones, and we currently have two lathes (but are getting rid of the smaller one), among various other bandsaws and drill presses and sanders.

I believe that one on the picture is the Hardinge. The rest of the machines at G & L we have available are here-http://www.gltool.com/facilities/

Shameless plug coming up-- G & L Tool is a relatively small machine shop. (about 15 employees) They can handle just about anything that anyone can throw at them in quantities of 1 to whatever.

SAFETY??? where are those gloves ???::safety::

On the shelf where they belong?

Gloves could get snagged in that lathe pretty easily (and pull large parts of your body around and around) while not really protecting your hands from anything.

True story: I could have lost much more than part of my fingernail freshman year if I had been wearing gloves while using the lathe (we’re still not too sure how that happened, actually). You shouldn’t even have to protect your hands from hot metal chips flying anywhere, because if you’re using the lathe properly, you should get nice, even, cool-looking spiral chips that don’t fly unless they get extremely long and snag on something.

Boys and girls, gloves and moving parts do not mix very well.