pic: Our new cart, pic 1

this is just something i have been making in my spare time :smiley:

ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Looks good :smiley:

But what happens if… Say, you run low on charged batteries and have to push the cart. Isn’t it going to be a lot of work to back drive the KOP trannys and wired CIMs.

You may want to install some kind of mechanical clutch to disengage the motors when you need to push it.

And believe me… There will come a time when you need to push it.

[Edit] Also, how does it turn? [Edit]

Haha, looks great!!

wow…
me and my step-brother are actually in the middle of finishing one just like this ourself… we’ve been working on it for… too many years haha.
job well done yall!!!
:cool:

FIRST won’t like the chair mounted on it for safety reasons. However safe you think it is, they will get onto you about it. We’ve sat on the deck of our cart and they got very mad at Lonestar. Keep in mind that our car has hauled over 400lbs of stuff before, and a 150lb student wouldn’t hurt anything. Other than that little problem, it looks good guys, and I hope it works out for you. We’ve moved to a more manual way of transporting the robot last year because our powered one is about 35" wide. Our new cart works okay though. I like the manual method more because the batteries don’t drain :D. I think we’re going to add drawers and a stand for the robot this year and painting it orange or blue, but that’s all we want. Maybe a radio and compressor for off season but who knows.

we knew that safety would be an issue so we have ordered a 4 point harness for the seat as well as safety lights and a horn for the cart, also our cart fits through any 30 inch doorway

very cool!

How well does it handle inclines?

god bless orange chairs… haha!

Hmmmm! Seatbelts?!? Make sure that everything is very well insulated and covered. UL will be at all events looking for safety issues and they will definetely be checking this out I bet.

are the front casted fixed or swivel casters:confused:

THAT CHAIR IS SO 60s! :ahh: Sweeeeeet…

How much does it weight? Can the bearings in the wheels handle cargo, passenger, and the weight of the cart?

I suggest you swap out your front wheels for some hefty casters. I used some of these casters from NorthernTool on a pair of autonomous navigation test platforms and have run them in dusty environments for some time now, never had a problem. They have a capacity of 300lbs a piece.

If your rear wheels can’t support the weight of your vehicle, you might try some of NorthernTool’s 10" tireswith an already mounted 60 tooth #35 chain sprocket.

Very awesome cart! I hope you don’t have to turn it in a very small space though… its a limo in length!

-q

Other then powered robot transportation does this cart also charge Robot Batteries as well or does it just do transporting and thats it.

Basically what can this powered cart do?

It can charge robot batteries, and recharge its own deep cycle battery as well as supply standard electricity, for example to a laptop or a hot glue gun.

So you plan on powering it up every time you want to move the cart? Even if you have to move it 2 feet?

The beauty of embedded processing… it takes less than a second to boot up a FRC controller… i’m assuming thats what you’re using…

Plus, I doubt the cart uses much energy on ‘stand by’ (not moving) so you could probably leave it on all the time, just put a quick disconnect on it so you can just hook it to your charger whenever its in your pit.

If you’re handy with a lathe and/or a vertical mill, you could make a nifty magnetic power connector (like on a mac, but bigger) pretty easily out of some brass and HDPE (or delrin or any insulative, rigid plastic of your choice). Always wanted to make one of these… but never had an application for it yet.

-q

can u explain that a little more? i am very interested

The cart is actually capable of being hooked up to shore power and when it’s, let’s say, in the pit…the inverter is turned off and shore power is connected.

Guys, have faith in our engineering skills. The cart is a completely self sufficient electrical and mechanical system that can stay active for a full day with the drive system being used and 2 days of just charging batteries (without needing a recharge). Every system has a redundant system to back it up in case of a failure. The system is charged by one AC input to a custom designed distribution box using relays to select shore power or inverter power. It has a descent speed and a relatively tight turning radius. It is very safe for the user as well as the surrounding people. For the driver it has a 4 point restraint system and for other people the cart has an emergency braking system that brings it to a stop within inches.

As for the magnetic shore power plug, that would be very unsafe, because when the magnet disconnects you now have a situation where the leads can be easily shorted, or shock someone.