pic: Our robot as of tonight...

How successful are you in collecting the balls with those zip ties?

Our team tried a similar approach ealier in the year. We found that adding a little bit of compression (since the balls are around 9" in diameter, an 7.5"-8" is enough) went a long way to making our system more reliable.

The zip ties works excellent for us…we used some special design features…

Just wondering about the center o’ gravity…seems a little high…especially with the lack of bumping restrictions this year. Of course I shouldn’t be talking…my team has a 58 inch high bot.

the center of gravity is actually really really good… We were driving it around today and spinning it around and doing drifts and such for a good hour+ and not one time did it even seem like it would loose balance or anything…

Btw, it drives like a dream, so good.

are you guys done?

well, the shooter isnt done yet, but everything else yes.

Now just some programming has to be done, and more practice…

Lol… I just remember the mentors fretting for days about having such a high bot, but ours drives well in no small part to the 10 pound gyroscope we managed to cram in the back for steering assistance. When you drove it, did you drive on the regolith or some form of tile…we are testing on regoliith for the first time today and it’s a whole different ball game.

we are on the schools hallway floors.
When people ran the numbers it seemed like the cooeficients were similar…

Where did u guys test ur robot in the first place?

First we used the cafeteria, then we stole the aggies classroom…we were forbidden to return after the principal noticed the damage to the floors the robot caused… and the fact that a high speed aluminum frame colliding with cheap drywall causes a pretty gnarly hole:ahh: …it doesn’t pay to cut corners…

LOL nicelly done… Well hopefully for us there isnt much of a difference…

Mind explainig the difference you are seeing

Even though the robot was kinda slippery on the linoleum, the regolith really reduced friction, maybe you guys have a slicker surface than we had. Again we used a flywheel to assist turning, and so far it has worked like a charm… check out the video…http://www.eaglerobotics.com/video2009.html Hopefully that will land us the Xerox award for the third straight year…we have some crazy mentors…:wink:

The gyro is Extra Super Cool. Nice work.

Thanks…were pretty proud of it ourselves…I do have to admit I was a big skeptic until they actually mounted the thing. The original gyro was a zinc flywheel wrapped in lead wire and duct tape…really really ugly http://www.eaglerobotics.com/images/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=5110
The new gyro is very nice though, even if we have a nasty habit of overheating the Fischer-Price motor…:wink:

lol nicely done…