pic: Pittsburgh - 1114 breaks the camera

During the eliminations, 1114 had a rare errant shot which flew into the crowd…hitting me while I was taking pics of the champion alliance’s drive team. This is the shot snapped just after I got nailed…

I have a hard time believing this. :wink:

There is no way that a soccer ball could do that, the size of the hole would need to be way bigger

guys are you serious… i’m not trying to be nasty but if you look closely you can see that it is photoshoped in

Wow - FIRST people over-analyze everything… In reality, broken lenses don’t focus very well - so you are correct in that this was a quick Photoshop job to illustrate “What coulda happened”. I did, in fact, get nailed by the ball while I was shooting the champion alliance’s drive team during the eliminations. I am friends of 1114 - I sort of play the part of their unofficial photographer at matches we both attend - and was kidding with them about it after I got nailed… I was not attempting to mislead anyone into thinking this was real, just playing with Simbotics a little…

That was my point…

Dan: I rather like the idea of a lens getting shattered by a ball…(Though… The cost of replacing it…) Hmmm… :rolleyes:

I like the idea. But lets hope it never happens. :wink:

That crack is just a little too in focus. If you were taking a photo of the players, the crack would be fuzzy, and vice versa.

The lens I shoot drive teams with has a hood made out of one of our prototype ball magnets that didn’t work, so no balls will come close to it!:smiley: :smiley:

This place is just a bunch of critics! ::ouch:: It was a quickie, I will try harder next time… :cool:

Wow… Now that is definately a nice hood… A prototype ball magnet… I need to get my father one… :wink:

Dan… Just as a quick thought… With the force it would take to damge a lens that much… wouldn’t the insides of the camera be damged a bit? :stuck_out_tongue:

Not to mention the face behind it.

Having experienced the real thing with a video lens I can confirm had the real thing happened the rest of the picture would not be in such sharp focus.

However, it’s a good time to take the opportunity to point out the usefulness of a clear filter on video or still camera lenses if at all possible, a hit from a ball can so easily damage a lens.

I remember carrying my video camera into a press conference and a police officer opened the auditorium door outwards just as I was walking up to it and the door handle went into the lens and the glass from the filter fell to the ground but the lens was perfectly ok, had the filter not been there it would have been a minimum $5,000 accident.

I was not so lucky a year later when I fell/flew/landed badly on ice (not wearing proper footwear!) and paid the price, $5,000.

m

In reality, the most probable outcome would have been the ball hitting the side of the camera, resulting in it leaving my hands and ending up somewhere hard with a fair amount of force…resulting in the lens mount snapping and the lens divorcing the camera body for good. I had that problem around 5 years ago with a cheap kit lens (THANK GOD) when I dropped a Canon Digital Rebel about four feet - the lens mount snapped and the lens went flying. What amazed me, however, was that the camera and lens worked fine if the lens was held on the camera in the right orientation… But, I don’t want to try it again with this camera and especially the lens I use for shooting drive teams!

Agree 100%, a simple $9 UV filter can save a $1000+ lens from scratches and light impacts - a very smart investment for anyone with an SLR or high end video camera.

With the filter on you can also wipe rain drops off of it with just about any cloth and not worry that you’re damaging the lens.

I would also add another one and that this is more for still cameras obviously and that is if the camera is off the table and in you’re hands then the strap is around you’re neck, no exceptions. then o matter what happens it can only fall as far as the strap, and when changing lenses don’t do it from standing height.

For video and stills I would also say never leave a camera on a tripod for ANY period of time unless you are behind that camera. It can fall over, be blown over, bumped over, anything can happen in any environment, tripod doesn’t mean “secure”.

So far I have only had two accidents, BOTH were primary preventable, had I been wearing proper safety boots I would not have slipped on the icy downhill sloped sidewalk and landed the way I did bumping the lens hard (and my right hip which still has pain today) and the second accident was a tripod accident, 30 seconds I turned my back on it at a tree planting event last spring and a bit of wind came and it lost it’s balance and toppled over, luckily onto wet grass so the impact was absorbed and only some damage to the casing which epoxy is still holding it together to this day.

Even with cheap point & shoots, we have a rule in our family: the strap is always around your neck (or wrist), even before you grab the camera. Even on a tripod.

Ouch! Sounds painful, what do you shoot now?