pic: Precision Guessworks 1646 - What could this be?

What could we be dreaming up? We finally started using the 3-d printer in one of the teachers classrooms. Notice, it’s not just a typical AndyMark gen 1 gearbox…

oh oh i know!!!

its the nick boyce and kyle love gear box

did you really get it done?

PTO?

Main question is why two speeds. Nice job and have a great season. Oh, a 3d printer is so nice, our CNC is ok for us :rolleyes:

3-D printer is a lot easier and cheaper to make prototypes with. The real plates will be made at a local laser cut place, I believe.

No. This is a Brian Clegg creation.

Why 2 speed, just to re ask the question. I am very curious.

That’s for the guessing! :slight_smile:

Two Speed…maybe a non-drive application?

Perhaps a “dump” speed and a “shoot” speed? Or your ball collection system has a collect speed (slower) and a deliver to shooter speed (wicked fast!)?

Ian pretty much hit it on the head. if you look closely at the output sprocket, there are actually two sprockets on two shafts spinning in opposite directions. These are going to run the two wheels of our shooter. The two speeds were intended as an insurance policy so that if we get to make the shooter wheels as heavy as we would like, we can still spin them up to speed using the two speed gearbox (we plan on using one fisherprice motor). I’m sure someone will take issue with this, so please feel free give your feedback.

I like the idea of having a dump and shoot speed though…

I know what it is
its pure awesome:D

It’s a good example of why I need to finish building my 3D printer, that’s what it is.

We may be using parts actually made on the 3-D printer on the robot this year, ofcourse these parts will not have significant loads put on them (ie. custom encoder mounts etc.)

We’ve made a lot of parts in our 3D printer this year. We made a few hubs for a Fisher Price Gearbox, spacers, and inserts so that we could use PVC as rollers.

At my Job I make a lot of prototype parts in our 3d printer. I found that the strength of a part often has more to do with the orientation of the part when printed then anything else. As long as your not putting the forces on where each layer of the material is you should be ok.