pic: Rifle scope

Lots of people at Houston showed interest in this feature, so I’m uploading a picture of it to the gallery.

To align during autonomous, we used a 4x rifle scope mounted to a Picatinny rail bolted to a bracket on the drivetrain. The drivetream would sight to the corner of the scale to get a consistent starting orientation of the robot. We found that fields can vary quite a bit in the location of all the arena elements, and the walls are never square, so this let us get rid of all of that noise and line up to the thing we actually wanted to score on.

We used two scopes for redundancy at Houston, but they could potentially be oriented to give us different targets from different starting locations.

Ahahah, that’s awesome!

Reminds me of jokes like this: https://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Knife-With-Scope-And-Red-Dot-Sight.jpg

:smiley:

I assume you have some sort of camera mounted to the scopes?
(I didn’t see one in the picture)

Looks great.

But note, you can still put a ‘rifle sight’ on a robot without adding the pound-or-so (and money) that an optical scope costs.

Different years, we’ve ‘aimed’ a robot with a vee-groove near the back end and a post near the front.

“iron sights”

But getting your eye behind the sight when the robot is against a wall can be difficult.

Your driver needs to wear a ghillie suit while aiming the robot :yikes:

Did you have to sight in during practice rounds? “Alright, we were off by 6 inches, so we need 12 clicks”

Specifically a gillie (Ol’ Gilly*) suit made from the yellow and black things that covered the corners of the scale between matches :yikes:

*our 2015 robot’s other name

This is just used for placing the robot on the field, so no sensors are used. A drive team member looks through the scope at a target to align the robot exactly where we want it before auto starts.

That’s true, and that’s the first thing we tried! Puting your head behind the robot makes it tough. The zoom on the scope gives more precision and adjustability, and it’s only a $20 part. We might use this approach again in the future if the game requires precise alignment for auto.

what do a sniper and an engineer have in common? details.