pic: Single Op CNC'd wheel

Here she is, my current brainchild. This wheel is an attempt to make our machinist sponsor happier, and to take a little load off his shoulders. This wheel is a single Op on a CNC mill, which means less time spent machining for him. The changes from our previous wheels are in spoke styling and size. This wheel is 3" diameter, .75 wide McMaster Roughtop tread, and weighs a rand total of a quarter pound without the tread. Plus, it's only a single op, so it can be made faster.

Any thoughts would be quite welcome.

is there any particular reason for the offset spokes other than machining ease? and have you done any calculations on how much stress it can take?

The reason for offesetting the spokes is to allow for easy machining. If I put them in the center, another op is added to the CNC process of making this wheel.

As far as strength, I’m hoping it’ll be strong enough, as we’ve never had much problem with similar wheels in the past.

Could you explain this in more detail? I don’t follow as to why it’s another operation.

In the past for the wheel, we’ve had the spokes in the center of the wheel, which makes it a two op process: machine out one side, flip, and machine out the other. For this wheel, one side gets machined out, and it’s done.

(as far as the two op wheel, here 's an example.)

[edit] I’m realzing now that people are talking about the spokes not coming to exact center on the wheel axel. So as for that reason, I’ve seen many wheels that don’t (vex…), and they’ve held up quite well. So as far as that’s concerned, it’s all style. [/edit]

I see. You’ve moved the spoke back to be flush with one wall of the wheel. I was taking the prior questions about asymmetry to be not about moving the spokes back, but about how they don’t intersect the center of the wheel.