pic: SolidWorks Electrical KOP - Beta

This model was created in SolidWorks Electrical. We are running a SolidWorks Electrical KOP Beta program for FIRST teams.
To download the SolidWorks Electrical KOP: www.solidworks.com/FIRST

This…This changes everything. Really looks nice guys.

Looks pretty slick. Does this interface with regular SolidWorks?

We’re just at the start of the learning curve - our electrical team is particuarly CAD-deficient - and find the curve to be not as steep as expected.

More soon, but what I am tasking electrical with is to stake out their space on the robot, so the mechanical gorillas can use their stone knives and axes to beat their mechanisms into some functional shape without touching our stuff… :rolleyes:

Thank you. This is a new cad beginning.

Yes. SolidWorks Electrical interfaces with SolidWorks bidirectional.

SolidWorks Electrical Schematic 2D can run independently.

You need to install SolidWorks Electrical separate serial number.

Teaching basics in schematic layout is a good place to start. Lines and symbols are very smart. This is really 80% a 2d word which is hard for a SolidWorks user to say.

The challenge is you need to know all the pinout from the 2D symbol or it won’t route correctly into 3D. This has been a challenge for us. We should have purchased a kit.

Please remind them not to bury the D-Link router deep in the robot. Have them find a place up high where its radio antennas won’t be bothered by proximity to the cRIO, battery, speed controllers, 12v-to-5v converter, motors, or metal framing.

One of our electrical engineers asked if the current layout of the kitbot would produce noise. I’m not certain if the DLink is too close to other NI components.

When the rookies put together our KOP base, they wedged the router between the sheet-metal frame and the battery. Not so good to place your antenna up against 13lbs of lead :stuck_out_tongue:

I can’t be the only one confused about the wire running straight through the 40-amp breakers, can I? :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, I look forward to using SolidWorks Electrical next year. It seemed like a bit too much to learn in too little time for this year.

Nah. It’s blue, so it cannot be a current carrying wire … :smiley:

Looks awesome!

You noticed that and you didn’t notice the missing Anderson Connectors on the battery leads? :slight_smile:

I’d be more worried about it being next to the Jaguars and that big hunk of lead (battery).

Or one or more CIM motors.

Good catch - usually wires dont do that. That’s why its in Beta - needed to put a few more points in to route the wire.

This is human error - at least you can see that you got an issue. Marie

Certainly we have some more work to do. I appreciate all the feedback. Keep it coming.

It’s very tight on the kitbot. Wire looks so much smaller when it is a line on a schematic.

We are trying to get all the connectors and the components right for the SolidWorks Electrical KOP. So many pins, so many connectors.

Don’t fret much about it. It looks like some awesome stuff. I can’t wait to try it out.

Thank you for comment. I am used to dealing with robots that have control boxes - but I am learning all the fun parts to the FRC Control system.

The process to download and install SolidWorks Electrical is a bit more complicated than SolidWorks.

Install SolidWorks first. 1 serial number installs SolidWorks, Simulation, PhotoView 360, SolidWorks Motion, CircuitWorks (imports IDF, PADS).

With SolidWorks Electrical, follow the download instructions in the email. We are providing SolidWorks Electrical through a secure file transfer site. You are sent the username and password and number of activations.

Once installed, there will be 2 icons on your desktop, one for SolidWorks Electrical Schematic and one for SolidWorks (the one you know and love).

When you install SolidWorks Electrical, an Add In becomes available inside of your SolidWorks. You must Add In SolidWorks Electrical 3D to SolidWorks.

Control Systems single line and multiline schematics start with SolidWorks Electrical Schematic, not SolidWorks.

It’s important the teams know what the errors are in the current electrical model, so they don’t try to wire it “like the picture” and blow the PD board or something.

Here is a list of errors in the wiring in no particular order:
-There are two cRIO components, and they are wired together
-No power to cRIO
-No power to Analog Breakout
-Signal Light is not plugged in
-All three versions of the ESCs (i.e. all speed controllers) are present, you should choose one set for the model, not have all 3 chosen and visible
-No power to DLink (also no power to converter)
-Battery bypasses main breaker and feeds into the 12v output on the PD board

That’s why we beta test! All of that being said, I can’t wait to sink my teeth into Electrical, it makes virtual wiring look really nice.