pic: Taigene

53ed8ef1d8f62a8db9782ae9b76a1960_l.jpg

Done by me, in AutoCAD 2005. Nothing is threaded, and it’s just the casing (no inner parts) but it’s still pretty cool.

VERY nice, but you MUST mean Inventor … Autocad can’t do that, can it??

yes it can. i do it all the time. most people don’t know about how Great autocad is. i can model and design faster in autocad then inventor or anything else. and render much more realistically as well. However… those stress analysis tools are something i only found in inventor

Wow … I did not know that :cool: - but what happens when you need to change a feature’s size/shape/position? I know in this case this was an existing part/assy which was modeled, and that would not necessarily apply, but if you are designing from scratch there are frequently design iterations that require you to adjust characteristics/features of your part.

That’s exactly why 3d CAD programs are becomming popular. For initial design of a part, both 2d and 3d CAD programs take about the same time (maybe a little more for 3d in some cases, depending on the part)… but with 3d… you hit a few buttons and bwam you have a new piece… with 2d cad you have to manually redo it consuming much more time. So, for an ever-changing design like your talking about Stu, 3d becomes much better to use for modifications. If you’re just making a plate or something, it might just be simpler to use AutoCAD, all depends on the application… but I think 3d is usually the way to go, because you can always come back to it and use it later.

yes I did do this in CAD, mainly because I have no clue how to use inventor. This model was done completely from scratch, using a ruler and a motor. As for changing size and shape, there’s a nice command called SOLIDEDIT that lets you move pretty much any face anywhere, or shell out a part, among other things. According to my instructor, AutoCAD can do stress analysis, though I don’t know how. This motor is just part of my CAD of our entire robot, in this kind of detail. I’m almost done, and should have it up on the site by Sunday. Currently, the file is over 10 Mb! It’s been a long process, but it’s all going to be worth it. We’re hoping to incorporate the model into the Animation, if our animator gets his rear in gear.

i gues some of u havnlt see this page:

http://www.firstcadlibrary.com/pages/motors.asp
www.firstcadlibrary.com for the rest… with inventor, simply make a assembly and add each part you need… handy time saving…

all KoPs are made in a lot of formats on taht page… it has them all so u dont have to draw them again…

i have done much much inventor / autocad work <mostly autocad 2d and 3d…
but seeing that motor made in autocad… dam man… great work… just kinda wasted work since its already been done… ** i did not do any drafting of this years bot tho… iwas way too busy in electronics and programming

i can quickly edit 2d and 3d faces and vectors with autocad. you just have to know what your doing witch just takes practice. at work i draw all parts that we make with CNC 3d in Autocad and then import them to mastercam to program the machine.

in my experience with any program buttons are great for beginning because you don’t know the software that great but when you get better they just slow you down because you have to switch your brain from tracking the geometry of your part to tracking your mouse pointer to click a button and then back again. With autocad you have buttons and you can customize them so you can do everything with buttons or you can use the command line you can also repeat your last command by just hitting enter.

Anyways… I mean to say autocad is wikid fast. although some geometry like spirals helix’s i forgot the word for this one but its the shape you make with a spirograph. and some more advanced calculus related curves and such. the programing for them just isn’t there in autocad. But on the bright side you can download these little LSP. files with have math in them and you can do those things.

in the end. I’m still waiting for a cad program that i can do everything in and has a command line.

Looks like you guys are in luck. AutoCAD Mechanical 2006 (Shipped with the AutoDesk Package) includes a chain length calcuator, area moment of inertia calculator and, most importantly, a finite element analyzer (W00+!). Apparently there’s also a screw and fastener creator, but i’ve only managed to get 2D with that so far.
The changes are due to the fact that AutoDesk is unifying the ever-popular AutoCAD with their Mechanical Desktop software to create one VERY nice package. As an added bonus, it’s now possible to import and export Inventor assemblies!

Tytus,
If you have been happy with Autocad 3D wait till you see Inventor 10! Things you were doing with 10-20 steps now take 1.

I agree, I use it at school, and we had to use Invetnor 8 for my freshman class (IED) and now their porjects are extremely easy when it took us a lot more time because it took more steps with 8.

I’ve found AutoCAD to be very difficult to use. Maybe it has gotten easier since I’ve tried it, but to me it seems like any idiot can easily become proficient in Inventor where it takes a genious to do anything in AutoCAD. I’ve watched people zip right through making 3d parts in AutoCAD but it’s just not for me. AutoCAD doesn’t seem like the kind of program you can easily figure out on your own where Inventor most certainly is.

where can we get another van door motor?

does anyone know the torque of this window motor?!?!?!??!

The specs for the 2008 Van Door Motor (Taigene) are here. This is the Van Door motor, not the window motor.

Apparently the link no longer works. If you search for 2008 Motor Data you should find a thread about it.

We are interseted in using the taigene vandor motor for a forklift pulley system on our robot this year. We need to know if it is compatiable with a motor talon or victor motor controller or should we use a cim with a gearbox.

Any controller can be used to power this motor. Controllers and motors are not limited except as listed in Table 4-4.
However, I would caution users that wish to run two of these motors on a single relay.