This is the finished prototype, based on a CAD design discussed here.
We took your feedback very seriously and incorporated many of your ideas into the design. Thanks CD community!
It is fully functional right now. It seems to turn very smoothly, both in high and low gears.
The wiring is really messy because we just took an old electronics board and re-mounted it without adjusting the lengths of the wires. This saved time and valuable components. There are also a bunch of extra victors and spikes on there in case we want to build a prototype arm.
I know there have been a lot of debates raging about the legality of building in the off-season, so let me make myself perfectly clear. NO part of this robot will be used on our competition machine. EVERY part (except off-the shelf items) will be redesigned and tweaked. I can assure you that we have already come up with a myriad of improvements.
Not featured here are blue-nitrile treads and servo-shifting transmissions. We decided to use old parts and spare waffle tread to save money.